Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer old tapes to new computer?

I have old tapes in every format you can imagine (VHS, mini DV, 8mm, hi8, and the list goes on to include Beta, Beta SP, DVC pro etc) and I want to transfer it all onto a pretty new MAC laptop (no firewire port and no DVD drive btw) but I was wondering if I can use a mini DV camcorder as my go-between for the VHS and hi8 and mini DV tapes with perhaps a firewire/thunderbolt adapter? I have also considered the Pinnacle and other systems and the cables with the little box on them, but I don't know the best way to go...so before I spend money I thought I'd check with the experts!! I have a mini DV camcorder and an 8mm camcorder and a VHS player and I am willing to purchase an old Beta deck too. I use Final Cut Pro to edit. Does that sound like it will work? Thank you for your time!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 7, 2015 9:23 AM

1 reply

May 14, 2015 2:19 PM in response to editandeditagain

Yes, that should work fine with two conditions:

1) The mini DV camcorder has to have a pass through mode - where you can plug something into the analog inputs on the camera, and it will output DV from the firewire port. Some do this, some don't.

2) There are many anecdotal reports of trouble with the 4pin to 9pin firewire cables you will need to connect to the 9pin Firewire to thunderbolt adaptor. Some work and some (usually the cheaper ones) don't. You may get lucky, or you may need to try a few cables.

MtD

How can I transfer old tapes to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.