Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8.3 sound problems Iphone 4s

I have recently updated my Iphone 4 s & it has killed all my sounds apart from through headphones or voice memos.

There are no alert tones at all ie no text message tones no ring tones no keypad tones no email tones. None of my music will play through the speaker.

If I record a voice memo it will play through the speaker.

The volume bar goes up & down ok. It is not in silent mode. It is not in headphone or dock mode.

I have erased & restored it 3 / 4 times. I have reloaded 8.3 via Itunes.

Please someone help as my phone might aswell be a paperweight for what good it is at the moment.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 7, 2015 11:56 AM

25 replies

May 9, 2015 12:24 PM in response to fatmox

Hello there, fatmox.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting to resolve the sound issue you are experiencing with your iPhone 4s. The following Knowledge Base article offers up a great checklist to look over and provides some additional information you will find useful:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Comunities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Jun 17, 2015 7:48 PM in response to pedro d

I have the EXACT same issue.

i.e. iPhone 4GS, iOS 8.3 and this sound issue happened immediately after updating to iOS 8.3.

I did all of Pedro's instructions and problem remains.

I will repeat the issue again:

The speaker produces NO SOUND through its speaker:

- when playing video's recorded on the iPhone

- playing youTube videos

- playing videos on facebook

- ring tone / message received tone

ADDITIONALLY, there is no graphic display showing volume level when pressing UP or DOWN volume buttons

It WILL produce sounds as normal through headphones, and will display graphic display when pressing UP or DOWN volume buttons when headphone is plugged in.

It WILL produce sound through its speaker when playing voice memo's, and WILL display volume graphic control when playing memo's.

This proves it is not a hardware problem. It is likely a bug in iOS 8.3.

If you google this problem, there are dozens reporting same issue. 16 people have clicked "I have this problem too" above.

Please Apple, release a fix to iOS 8.3 immediately.

This is a shocking bug and cannot believe apple released this buggy update.

Jun 21, 2015 2:54 PM in response to steveaust

I have the same problem. alarm works and phone rings, so it's not a hardware problem.I have no graphic display showing volume level when pressing UP or Down volume buttons, but when i switch silent on/of it shows level, and if i press volume button, volume level disappear. I don't have sound in apps, games and OS like turning the screen of. it doesn't allow me to play music, play button, doesn't respond. If I connect headphones it works properly

iphone 4s, 16 gb, ios 8.3

p.s. sorry for my bad english

Jun 21, 2015 5:30 PM in response to alina.sandu

Hi Alina,

Yes, you have the same sound problem as me and fatmox and 18 others who clicked "I have this problem too" above.

Can you confirm your problem happened immediately after you updated to 8.3 ?

I am going to fully restore my iPhone 4s with a backup done a few months ago, when I was running iOS 8.1.

Before I do this I am of course backing up all my current photo's / videos / voice memo's and going thru all my SMS/messenger messages with important information that will all be lost when I do the restore. A major pain in the ***, thanks Apple.

I will report back if that "fixes" the problem.

I find it incredibly disappointing that Apple released 8.3 with this bug, but even more disappointed that they cannot offer a fix and have not rushed an update to 8.3 with a fix. Very poor Apple and after recommending iPhone's to dozens of friends, I am now not recommending iPhone, Instead I am looking at a Sony or Samsung (running Android software) for my next smart phone purchase.

Jun 21, 2015 11:24 PM in response to steveaust

the truth is that I bought this iphone second hand 1 month ago with this problem. all I know is that is a software problem and i'm waiting for ios 8.4 and I hope the bug is fixed. from what I heard I can't downgrade to a stable version of OS. another software problem is that sometimes I can't make calls and I must to restart it in order to work again. I'm thinking of selling my 4s and buying a nexus 4 or something. I am a little disappointed after this experience

Jun 23, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Maya10s

Hi Maya

Do one of these things:

1. RESTORE your iPhone from a previous backup, to the version you had before you updated to iOS 8.3

or

2. WAIT for update by apple to iOS 8.3 e.g. 8.3.1 or 8.4 etc. Unknown how long this will be, or if this "bug" will be fixed in the next update to 8.3.

or

3. Do nothing and get used to no sound on your iPhone except thru headphones

or

4. Sell or give-away your iPhone 4 and get a 5 or 6 (This issue seems only to affect iPhone 4 / 4S.) or dump apple and get a Samsung / Sony / HTC.

I'm going to do (1) after I get all important information off my iPhone and if that doesn't work I'm going to do (2) and if that doesn't work then I'm going to do (4).

Jul 13, 2015 6:05 PM in response to fatmox

My iPhone 4S on iOS 8.3 just got this problem today. I have been on iOS 8.3 since it came out so it wasn't the upgrade that did it.

I was typing in my passcode when after a couple of keystrokes the sounds stopped. The symptoms are exactly described here.

I was worried that it would not work as a phone so I called someone and it worked. I then made another call using the keypad and the sounds were back for about 10 minutes and they stopped again.

It definitely appears to be a software problem.

IOS 8.3 sound problems Iphone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.