Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport on the same subnet

If I have an Airport on the same subnet and connect a printer to it, will I be able to access the printer? Also, will the IP address of the printer be the same as the Airport? I'm entirely clueless on the networking thing. I connect the airport but can't connect to anything which is connected to the airport, i.e. printers or laptops(via wifi).

PowerMac G4 dual 500Mhz 512MB ram, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2006 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2006 10:44 AM

lancepickens, Welcome to the discussion area!

If you connect the printer to the printer via USB, the printer won't have an IP address.

Are you connecting the printer via Ethernet?

Since this is the AirPort Express (AX) discussion area I'm assuming that your use of "AirPort" indicates AX. The AX only has a single Ethernet port. Only when the AX is configured to use WDS to connect to a wireless network would the Ethernet port be active to connect a printer. In that situation, the printer would be on the same subnet as anything else connected to the wireless network.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2006 10:44 AM in response to lancepickens

lancepickens, Welcome to the discussion area!

If you connect the printer to the printer via USB, the printer won't have an IP address.

Are you connecting the printer via Ethernet?

Since this is the AirPort Express (AX) discussion area I'm assuming that your use of "AirPort" indicates AX. The AX only has a single Ethernet port. Only when the AX is configured to use WDS to connect to a wireless network would the Ethernet port be active to connect a printer. In that situation, the printer would be on the same subnet as anything else connected to the wireless network.

Oct 23, 2006 10:58 AM in response to Duane

Duane, thanks for the info. I am using AX in fact, and the printer is connected via a USB port. My connection situation is as follows; multiple computers connected to the router, ethernet only, and the AX also connected to the router, ethernet again. The AX provides net access for the wireless computers, the wired router for the older desktops. As of right now, only the laptops can use the printer. I would like to make it so all computers can use the printer.

Airport on the same subnet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.