Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unknown error (-42110)

I rented a movie, twice. I have the receipts for both rented at separate times . at the time of purchase , the movie acted like it was going to play , showing clocks and such, but never played, I went to support community and didn't get an answer for that problem so today I tried to watch the same movie and got unknown error (-42110) try again later. So ***? I've rented the same movie twice and still haven't watched it , I know my equipment is capable because I watch rented movies from Amazon all the time. This has to be resolvable.

Windows 7, new iTunes 12.+

Posted on May 7, 2015 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 11:44 PM

From iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support :

This alert is related to iTunes Store movie rentals and authorization issues.

Make sure you are using the most recent version of iTunes and QuickTime. They both can be downloaded free of charge.

If your iTunes is up to date, remove the SC Info folder.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2015 11:44 PM in response to mabco99

From iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting - Apple Support :

This alert is related to iTunes Store movie rentals and authorization issues.

Make sure you are using the most recent version of iTunes and QuickTime. They both can be downloaded free of charge.

If your iTunes is up to date, remove the SC Info folder.

Apr 30, 2016 6:32 PM in response to King_Penguin

The "Remove the SC Info folder" links are broken.

I've updated iTunes and Quicktime to the latest versions, and still exactly the same error message.

On windows, the folder is located here:

C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes\SC Info

one must turn on hidden folders to see it.

I deleted that folder and now it works. Thanks.

(If this is a connectivity issue (I'm able to connect the store and get charge for the rental just fine... ) why doesn't the tool check for and report connectivity errors separately?)

(Why are these support databases not scanned automatically to flag broken links?)

(Why was the support database changed in a way that isn't backwards compatible for these sorts of links?)

(If this has been a known issue for something like 3 years, why has this not been patched to present something other than an "unknown error"?)

Any one of those things would have saved me 30 minutes of debug time..

May 1, 2016 1:09 AM in response to What the business

(If this is a connectivity issue (I'm able to connect the store and get charge for the rental just fine... ) why doesn't the tool check for and report connectivity errors separately?)

(Why are these support databases not scanned automatically to flag broken links?)

(Why was the support database changed in a way that isn't backwards compatible for these sorts of links?)

(If this has been a known issue for something like 3 years, why has this not been patched to present something other than an "unknown error"?)

You will have to ask Apple, as you already know we are fellow users on these forums

unknown error (-42110)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.