Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i forward a text from my iPhone 5 to an email account

how do i forward a text from my iPhone 5 to an email account? i am only given the option to forward as a message where other times it has given me a choice of sending as mail. Why doesn't the mail choice appear anymore?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 7, 2015 5:58 PM

17 replies

Mar 3, 2016 3:07 AM in response to nancyannv

Prior to IOS 9.0.*** - This was a Simple task You pressed on the message for a second, Up popped your options . Send to email was one. EASY Right . I have spent 3 months , 78 plus hours on the phone with 3 different SENIOR Advisors and not only cant they figure it out, They are indignent and inept .

They had me do everything under the sun as they always do - Update to newer IOS - Reset phone - Restore to factory ... We all know the ******** protocol routine by now ..... Then sent me a NEW Phone ... Rinse and Repeat...

Then they pawned of the problem as an AT&T issue. I followed their instructions and contacted AT&T . Att "Advanced Support" was very helpful but after another 2 hours we realized the issue was with IOS - not the phone - not the carrier - I O S (big surprise )

Last Resort - Apple Genius Bar - Where I got a Genius (who used to be a Senior Advisor) - And although he was very nice, it was in a Retail store so his job was to Patronize me and keep smiling - It was easy to see that He Knew The Problem Existed but was Trained to Ignore the real issue and tell me : QUOTE " You Never Could Forward text messages to email - You need to Hold Down on message, Copy : open email App, Paste , Enter email address and then send - TOTAL ******* LIE and that's How Apple TRAINS THEIR SENIOR ADVISORS NOW - All while Smiling at you

BOTTOM LINE - I'm abandoning anything that is dependent on IOS and moving to Android -

- APPLE ***** - Apple Support ***** - and Apple doesn't give a **** about its users ever since Steve Jobs Passed.

Mar 3, 2016 3:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

That's fine Lawrence - I would feel the same way if someone had that attitude with me - I am an easy going guy and very patient but when treated like I was by 3 advisors , for 3 months , each one "abandoning me because they didn't have a solution, One would loose their patients

Not once did an advisor "acknowledge " it was an issue, but they were happy to waste "MY" time while they got paid and just run me thru their protocol.

The Live and in person Advisor at the genius bar read thru my case history and was "shocked" , He even told me that 2 of the advisors I was working with were : Quote: ' No Longer With Apple" so I apologize to this community if anyone was offended but. hey... Are these threads always to be Nice and Soft And Patronizing Praising Apple . The Truth Hurts . And Apple has wasted my time - And apparently I'm not alone

Mar 3, 2016 4:51 AM in response to uneekguy1

uneekguy1 wrote:

HOWEVER - If anyone out there has a way to actually accomplish the simple and most basic of tasks, please share - All we want to do is Forward a text (or thread of texts ) to an email address keeping the formatting (specifically links) active. All Apple could suggest was to copy one bubble at a time and send it as "PLAIN TEXT "

That is true in iOS 9. There is no forward to email option in the messaging app. All you can do is copy and paste into an email.

And I hate when people resort to idiotic comments like

Apple doesn't give a **** about its users ever since Steve Jobs Passed.

Mr. Jobs did not personally handle all aspects of the company, and certainly did intervene in one on one customer support issues - no CEO does that. These sorts of rants are simply ridiculous and irrelevant to everything you have mentioned and disrespectful of someone who is no longer here to speak for themselves.

Mar 3, 2016 4:55 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks Michael for validating the issue. Apple should be ashamed of itself for dragging its long time customers thru the mud. Had an advisor just been honest and said, Sorry David, that feature is no longer avail. I wouldn't have been thrilled but at least I would not have wasted 3 plus months and 80 some hours chasing my tail. I am pretty sure efficiency is what technology is about. Apple contributes to being in-efficient in so many ways . I miss Steve Jobs's philosophy and will watch on the sidelines as apple slowly self destructs Need to call my broker and short some AAPL - BTW on a good note, While trying to solve my dilemma , I found a back door to the encryption in IOS

Mar 3, 2016 6:33 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

And Hence is the problem . Thank You Meg for your reply. That has always worked for me in the past. Up till 9.x.x. Now it no longer sends to email. it just re-texts to myself . Funny thing is I was on the phone with AT&T advanced support and she had the same issue on her test phone. BUT when she tried it on her personal phone (same model 5S and same IOS 9.2) it worked as it used to. Again I say that the Senior Advisors at apple just rode me down the path of least resistance having me gyrate back and forth with Resetting phone, Restoring Phone to Factory New , even sending me a new phone and then repeating the same protocols. May I ask which phone and IOS you have that still works. ?

Respectfully (but frustrated)

David

Mar 3, 2016 6:36 AM in response to uneekguy1

uneekguy1 wrote:

And Hence is the problem . Thank You Meg for your reply. That has always worked for me in the past. Up till 9.x.x. Now it no longer sends to email. it just re-texts to myself . Funny thing is I was on the phone with AT&T advanced support and she had the same issue on her test phone. BUT when she tried it on her personal phone (same model 5S and same IOS 9.2) it worked as it used to. Again I say that the Senior Advisors at apple just rode me down the path of least resistance having me gyrate back and forth with Resetting phone, Restoring Phone to Factory New , even sending me a new phone and then repeating the same protocols. May I ask which phone and IOS you have that still works. ?

Respectfully (but frustrated)

David

If you send it to an email address that's associated with your Apple ID or iMessage, it will come right back to the phone. That has, in my experience, always been the case. Send it to an alternate email address. That works fine for me.

Apr 26, 2016 11:54 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg....you set me on the right track. I also had to turn off the iMessage option in the Messages app, before I could get it to work to an alternate email address. In my case the message gets sent as an SMS message attachment in the email. The text message went right to the that email and a copy was saved on my iphone message app. BTW, I'm using the current version of IOS 9.3.1. I then copied the atttached txt file and pasted it into an email using my "regular" email address and sent it.

This is a whole lot of "hoops" to jump through just to send a text to an email address. Copy and pasting the text message segment(s) into an email as was suggested in the message string is much simpler and quicker. Shame on Apple for putting its customers through such an ordeal.

how do i forward a text from my iPhone 5 to an email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.