Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iMovie project

My edited iMovie project is now a long string of yellow triangles since I mistakenly deleted the original films from my iPad. The originals are now back on my iPad but despite offering to search for them iMovie says it is unable to find them, in order to recreate my project. Do I need to start editing all over again?!

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 8, 2015 7:38 AM

6 replies

May 9, 2015 12:18 AM in response to donwhine

HI donwhine, originally I put the video clips onto the iPad by importing them from the SD card using my SD to lightning adapter. When I brought the clips back onto the iPad (after mistakenly deleting them thinking they were now established in iMovie) I did it by synching with the MacBook Air using iTunes and bringing them in from iPhoto. Could the 'source' make a difference? ie if I put them back onto the SD card and then import them back onto my iPad is iMovie more likely to recognise them? Thank-you for your help.

May 11, 2015 8:27 AM in response to donwhine

What you suggested seemed to make lots of sense! So I tried to import the originals onto the iPad again directly from the SD card using the same lightning adapter but the iPad didn't recognise that the film clips were there - it didn't offer me the import button. I then recorded a few more seconds of film using the same camera onto that SD card and introduced it to the iPad in the same way. The iPad recognised that the new film clip was there because the import button appeared, but the only film it offered to import was my new test clip. All the time the MacBook Air has been happy to recognise and play all the original film clips. Between my very original import and this latest import attempt my friend used my SD card on his non-Mac laptop to download my clips. I can only think that this process has somehow changed the tagging of the clips. I appreciate you trying to help, thanks donwhine, but unless you have any more insight I think I have some hours of editing ahead of me! Not the end of the world!

May 11, 2015 11:16 AM in response to CrellanFromHaywardsHeath

Hey CrellanFromHaywardsHeath you stated that only your "Test" file was imported and none of the original files made it back during the re-import. Make sure you put your files in your SD card in the following folder structure. See my screenshot below

User uploaded file

BTW, in regards to the project you are trying to resurrect, what camera make and model did you use to record your videos?

May 12, 2015 1:36 PM in response to iphonejunky

HI iphonejunky (and donwhine!), well that was very clear advice which I followed and it worked perfectly in as much as all the movie clips were recognised when I plugged the SD card into the iPad and have now been successfully imported. I allowed myself a glimmer of hope that when the message came up from iMovie offering to 'search for the missing videos in my project' it would find them and be brought back into the project onto the existing visible timeline (with lots of yellow triangles). Unfortunately, the message came back that iMovie had found none of the missing videos. I've got so used to all the iPad stuff working for me without me really trying that I'm finding this rather surprising as well as being very frustrating!

Lost iMovie project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.