Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from 10.8.4, server 2.2.1 to 10.10.x, Server 4.x advice

I have a mac mini server running OS X 10.8.4, Server 2.2.1 and need to upgrade to latest OS X and Server, due to the purchase of a G-Speed Studio XL. I only have the following services running, very basic file sharing.

DNS

File Sharing

VPN

Should this go painlessly easy? Just a matter of updating OS X first, then Server? Looking for advice for pre-upgrade tasks ( aside the usual back up) All company data is on external attached Thunder Bolt G-Raid with folders setup as shares. Any "gotchyas"? Looking for guidance.

thx

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Server 2.2.1 (169)

Posted on May 8, 2015 7:17 AM

5 replies

May 8, 2015 12:23 PM in response to SRobo36

Considering you have just a couple of services besides an OD master I guess, migration should be straight forward:

OS X Server: Upgrade and migration from Lion Server or Snow Leopard Server - Apple Support

However expect the worst, a failed migration and no services working at all.

So export all settings, export your open directory master, create screenshots of all your serversettings, filesharing settings including users and groups, vpn settings including shared secret and DNS. WorkGroup manager is not available on OSX Yosemite, anything special there?

Use software like Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone so you have a situation to go back to, just in case.

Update your OSX first, you are correct and then purchase the new server.app, that will guide you during the migration.

When you are ready with exports and a clone, there shouldn't be any "gotchyas"

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 8, 2015 1:18 PM in response to jepping

Thx Jeffery,

I'm a noob with server. Can you explain how i would export all setting and OD master?

"So export all settings, export your open directory master,"

I've looked around and do not see an option or command to export any settings.

I have already done the screenshots 😉 and will have an up to date Time Machine BU. Would you recommend cloning over TM?

Thx

May 9, 2015 2:14 AM in response to SRobo36

Easiest way to export would be to use this handy little tool:

http://robotcloud.screenstepslive.com/s/2459/m/5322/l/94467-bender-automated-bac kup-of-os-x-server-settings

This will generate a /Backups folder on your hard drive, which will contain all settings.

Restoring those exports is explained as well.

Inside the server.app for OpenDirectory there is an option to archive the ODmaster, it's under the gear "Archive OpenDirectory Master".

Cloning gives you a complete snapshot of a stable situation, fast to restore while timemachine builds layers of backup moments and will take a lot longer to restore and the result for servers is not always stable or reliable.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 19, 2015 12:26 PM in response to jepping

Everything went pretty smoothly. I seem to have one issue that I can't quite figure out. I have 6 users 5 are using OS X 10.9.5 and one has upgraded to 10.10.x. Two of the 10.9.5 and the 10.10.x users can see the shares but the other 3 users, on 10.9.5. can connect to the server but can not see / connect to the shares? The are given permission, also part of the group that has permission but can't see them. I tried deleting one of the users and adding them back, still no good. Any thoughts on why 3 users can connect to the shares and 3 can not?

Sean

May 25, 2015 2:07 AM in response to SRobo36

Hi Sean,

Do those other macs who cannot connect have a different network setup for instance only wifi or a different DNS setup?

Best option would be to use: command+K, the connect to server command from the menubar Go in the Finder.

Relying on bonjour or what the Finder finds in the network could be different every time, but that depends on your network setup.

Can you switch 2 macs of position and see what happens?

Are those users in the right group and does the group have access to that share?

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Upgrade from 10.8.4, server 2.2.1 to 10.10.x, Server 4.x advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.