Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon just bulk-unlocked ALL iPhone 4s - When will Sprint follow?

Verizon just unlocked all Verizon iPhone 4s via Apple, even if the device was no longer active on the Verizon network. If you upgrade your iPhone 4s via ITunes to iOS 8.3 you will receive a message that your iPhone has been unlocked. When will Sprint follow instead of telling customers lies that iPhone 4s CANNOT be unlocked and is NOT compatible with GSM networks ? I have tried for over a year to get my Sprint iPhone 4s unlocked since I upgraded to a 5s. I would like to give the 4s to my daughter. Sprint has steadfastedly refused and gave me all kinds of excuses. On top of that they are not even able to activate the Sprint iPhone on their own network as a second line with my account even though I had never used it with any other carrier (or MVNO).

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2.3 GHz Intel i7 quad-core 16GB 1TB

Posted on May 8, 2015 6:47 AM

6 replies

May 8, 2015 7:37 AM in response to TXcrude

We're just users here and are not privy to what Apple, Sprint or any other company are up to. A post like this may fall afoul of the forum's TOU due to its speculative nature.

Finally, note that you HAVE to do something for the unlock to occur. In this case, the upgrade did the trick. In other cases, it entails wiping it clean and Restoring from a backup or setting up as new. As for the Sprint issue, I believe we would have to check the specific model numbers of the iPhones involved. IIRC, Sprint uses CDMA and not GSM, which essentially makes the device permanently locked, since that technology does not use a SIM.

May 8, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul wrote:

As for the Sprint issue, I believe we would have to check the specific model numbers of the iPhones involved. IIRC, Sprint uses CDMA and not GSM, which essentially makes the device permanently locked, since that technology does not use a SIM.

The Sprint iPhone 4S, like the Verizon version, is both CDMA and GSM. If unlocked, the GSM should work on any compatible GSM network. The only iPhone ever made that came in a CDMA only version was the iPhone 4.

May 8, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Michael Black

Good news for all of you, or at least the Verizon subscribers.

Back here (Mexico), the carriers were quite accustomed to be bloodsucking vampires. After years of abuse, the Government finally listened to the voters (instead of the lobbyists) and passed a very severe Telecomm law that abolished all this customer capture. So now when you get a phone with plan (instead of a prepaid), you deal with a financial services company which subsidizes the device and is independent of the carrier. And you can switch to any carrier with 24-hours notice. Wouldn't believe how much cheaper cellular telephony has become, with even better levels of service. Gotta keep the customers from hopping over to the competition, do we?

Verizon just bulk-unlocked ALL iPhone 4s - When will Sprint follow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.