Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Template/Theme Bug - Keynote 6.5 to 6.2 (Yosemite to Mavericks)

Hey all! (and Apple!) Just wanted to inform you of a template bug when transferring .kth (Keynote Theme) files between the Keynote versions of Keynote 6.5.x to Keynote 6.2.x.

Issue:

When a theme (.kth file) is saved from Keynote 6.5 (The Yosemite Version) and then sent to a system with 10.9 Mavericks running 6.2.x, the file is installed into the theme chooser in a corrupt manner. The icon is simply the theme file icon (vs. normal behavior of the first page of the Template) and when double clicked to start a new file, simply nothing happens. No error codes or anything.

Bandaid fix:

If I save the master Keynote 6.5 file (.key, not .kth) from Yosemite as a package file, then send it to a Mavericks system with 6.2.2 installed, I can then open master file and save the theme with 6.2.2 compatibility with no known issues thus far. User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 8, 2015 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2015 1:02 PM

It is not a good idea to use an older version of an application to open files created by a newer version.

Users in these discussions have reported for many years that file corruption, data loss, application crashes and being unable to open files are often caused by doing this.

This applies not just to Keynote but many other Apple applications; Final Cut Pro, iMovie, iPhoto, Pages and many others.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2015 1:02 PM in response to The Keynote Guys

It is not a good idea to use an older version of an application to open files created by a newer version.

Users in these discussions have reported for many years that file corruption, data loss, application crashes and being unable to open files are often caused by doing this.

This applies not just to Keynote but many other Apple applications; Final Cut Pro, iMovie, iPhoto, Pages and many others.

May 8, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Gary Scotland

All I'm saying is that it's a bug. This is the first instance I'm seeing that's simply irregular activity with no error codes and an attempt at loading the file. It just does nothing. Sharing regular Keynote files down to 6.2.2 from any 6.5 version has never been a problem (as long as it is a package file) with no known issues on my end when I do that.

With regard to older software... sometimes there's no other way either. You can't force someone you're working with to upgrade their OS, especially in a corporate advertising setting where you have no control.

Jul 1, 2015 6:02 AM in response to The Keynote Guys

Keynote Guys,

Trying to figure out how to ask you a question directly, so I'm adding it to this thread.

I need to export a PDF from Keynote, as a nice, printable handout.

When I export, lines are appearing in the cover graphic. I've "cleared guides" on masters, and done everything I know how. Every PDF comes out the same. Whether I export as a PDF, or print as a PDF.

The lines are not in the original Keynote, that I can find anywhere.

I'm attaching a screenshot as an example.

Any help?

Dan

User uploaded file

Template/Theme Bug - Keynote 6.5 to 6.2 (Yosemite to Mavericks)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.