Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Totally confused!!!

Hi.

I have been having some problems with my G5 PPC tower. I changed the battery and this worked for a while, but the problem is now back. I checked my Console log (which means nothing to me) and found this:

*** _NSAutoreleaseNoPool( ): Object 0x842b00 of Class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

Does this have anything to do with my problems?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks, Lin

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G5

Posted on May 8, 2015 1:49 PM

4 replies

May 9, 2015 11:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you so much for responding!

I am having several problems. The monitor turns off frequently, sometimes during startup, sometimes in the middle of me playing a game or browsing the Net or looking at different sites. There does not seem to be a connection. Quite often the computer will freeze, sometimes completely, and sometimes the cursor will move, but all it does is show a tiny, 'mixed up' version of the desktop on the left hand side. Also, the fans occasionally run very fast and loud.

I changed the battery after noticing that my date and time were not holding all the time. This worked for about two weeks, and now it has all started to happen again. I am writing this in Safe Boot mode, and I don't seem to be having an trouble, however, I am unable to do much.

I have a Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5 which I love! I have two harddrives, one running OS 10.5.8 and the other running OS 10.4.11. Incidentally, the problems seem to occur with both OS's. I have cleaned the inside of the computer thoroughly and have pretty good airflow, but the weather does not seem to be a factor.

I do hope this helps.

Lin.

May 9, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Lin

It certainly sounds like graphic card problems, possibly heat?

Have you blown the dust out lately?

Get Temperature Monitor to see if it's heat related...

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac.

Then click on More Info>Hardware>Graphics/Displays and report like this...

NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 7800GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0092

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 2152.2

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display:

...then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode).

Totally confused!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.