Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain password reset

I have bought a new mac mini and in the set up process I've obviously created a password for keychain and I have no idea what it is and can't work out how to reset it. I have found keychain in utilities but can't work out what to do next

Apple want me to pay $233 to fix the problem even though Ive just paid $2k buying there goods.....HELP !

MacBook Air

Posted on May 8, 2015 7:08 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2015 9:06 PM in response to Quirky1976

Originally, the keychain password is the same as the login password for the account. The login password can be changed in any of three ways:

1. By the user, in the Users & Groups preference pane. In this case, the keychain password is automatically changed to the new login password
  2. By the administrator (if different), also in the preference pane. The keychain password is not changed.
  3. By anyone who has physical access to the computer, in Recovery mode. The keychain is replaced by a new, empty one with the new password, and the old keychain is saved with the old password.

To change a keychain password, launch the Keychain Access application and select the keychain from the list on the left. If the list isn't showing, select

View ▹ Show Keychains

from the menu bar, or press the key combination command-K. Then select

Edit ▹ Change Password for Keychain...

You must know the old password in order to set a new one. Otherwise you'll have to reset the keychain.

Apple would not charge you to solve this problem. You must have searched for something like "Apple Support" and then called one of the fake tech-support scams that infest the search engines.

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

keychain password reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.