Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question on the finer points of Function keys

I have just changed from a keyboard that had a dedicated mute key to a keyboard with the mute button on the F10 function key.

I also apply photoshop actions to the F1 to F8 function keys for speed.

now, using the F12 function key can have two functions depending on the preferences set. F12 can be for volume up, or it can be for a screen change. I currently can not replicate the "screen change" because the settings have changed and I don't know how to reset this.

I have spoken to apple support about this and they have sent me this link which does not cover everything fully.

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

I have played with < Apple > < System Preferences > < Keyboard > < Keyboard > < "Use all F1 , F2 etc keys .............> But am unsure of how it exactly works.

Now here is my problem.

Being a Photoshop user I want my screen to be consistent. (I calibrate my screen) F1 and F2 can be set to adjust the screen brightness. I do not want to accidentally press F1 and F2 at all. In addition to this I set F1 and F2 rotate image left 90 degrees and right90 degrees.

However when I have these keys set the way I want the F10 key ( mute ) does not work. So when the phone rings I can not quickly mute the radio. I know I can use the "fn" key with the F10 key and this will work. But I would prefer if this was a single key operation.

Can you set each function key to a specific task?

Or can I set some keys to operate one way whilst another set to operate another way?

iPad Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 8, 2015 5:54 PM

12 replies

May 8, 2015 6:22 PM in response to trevorfromshepparton

Do you have an 'fn' key, most likely in the lower left corner of the keyboard, or if you have a keyboard with separate numeric keypad and separate section for the arrow keys, then the 'fn' key may be in with the Home/End, Page Up/Down keys.

The 'fn' key can be used to invert the meaning of the F-keys. So a key that is an F10, can be fn-F10 for mute. If it is normally mute, then fn-F10 is an F10 key. This all depends on how you have the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" is set.

If you need the fast access F-keys for custom functions, but only need volume controls once in a while, then choose to use 'fn-F10' to get to mute, 'fn-F11' for volume down, and 'fn-F12' for sound up, and leave F10, F11 and F12 as standard function keys.

If you do not have an 'fn' key that could be a bit more difficult.

The other thing you could do is get a hotkey (keyboard shortcut) utility that will allow you to create your own shortcuts for functions that are easy to duplicate via System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. My perferred utility is BetterTouchTool, as it also gives me the ability to create a ton if touchpad gestures that speed up some of my most frequently used tasks

<http://www.boastr.net/>

But it happens to be a good keyboard shortcut utility. It does include the ability bind any hotkey you desire to keyboard functions such as mute, volume up/down, etc... So for example you could have Command-Option-M be mute if that was easier, or if you need F1 thru F8 as standard function keys, but still want F10 for mute, you can just map the standard function key F10 to mute (I actually do this for Stop/Start, Next song keys, where the rest of my function keys are standard F-keys used for other shortcuts).

May 9, 2015 6:13 PM in response to trevorfromshepparton

Now its working again. .... OK it will work when the "Better touch" window is open. I then close the better touch window and it still works for a bit. Then some time later it stops working. Opening the "Better touch" window will get it to work again.

The "Better touch" icon is located in the top header bar.

Now I can't replicate it .... It is working fine. Unless I was pressing F9 not F10 as the vol up and vol down always worked. Lets assume it was operator error.

No it was not operator error ........ The F10 (mute) did not work and F11 and F12 did (volume)

Its got me stumped.

Sorry to keep going on this ...... Its Safari ..... When Safari is Open it works and when Safari is closed F10 (mute) does not but F11 and F12 do still work.

May 9, 2015 8:47 PM in response to trevorfromshepparton

User uploaded file

I did miss the part where you had F10 defined twice. Sorry.

I cannot really understand why it is not working for you. Some ideas (which may be desperate ideas)

I would start by deleting any unused excess mapping, and see if that affects things.

If F10 mute is not working as a global shortcut (which it really should), you could try creating a per App mapping for F10, with the apps you are most likely going to be using when you need to mute something:

User uploaded file

While this should not be necessary, it is something you can experiment with.

While I like BetterTouchTool, and it has worked well for me, you could look for another keyboard shortcut utility.

Another utility you might try is Karabiner -> Preferences -> Change Key -> Change F1..F19 -> Change F1..F19 -> Change F1..F12 -> Change F10, F11, F12 to speaker controls:

User uploaded file

Or maybe there is a different approach that could be taken.

If anyone else has some suggestions for allowing trevorfromshepparton to have F1-F9 as mappable function keys, but associate F10, F11, and F12 with mute, volume up/down, it would be appreciated.

trevorfromshepparton if you we do not resolve BetterTouchTool issues, _AND_ if no one else responses to this thread, you could start a new thread (as a lot of people may not look at this thread as it is current marked "Solved"). If a new thread does show up, I'll avoid contributing so that others might contribute. It would be good to tell in the new post the behavior you would like, and what you have tried, so that you do not get repeat suggestions.

I will try to keep contributing to this thread as long as you like.

Question on the finer points of Function keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.