Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme won't connect to Internet

HI

i have bought a new Aiport Extreme to replace my Netgear router, and have it connected to my fibre modem.

However, I am unable to get an Internet connection. I have checked the settings against those for the old router, and they are the same (I am using PPPoE), restarted the modem and Airport several times, and have also reset the Airport to factory and started again several times, but to no avail.

can anyone advise please?

best regards

Phil

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 8, 2015 11:44 PM

6 replies

May 12, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Philip Raby1

Fibre is a tough one for the Apple routers, since they are basically designed to handle DSL and cable modems. We've seen a number of posts similar to this with users having difficulty with fibre.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and go ahead and use the router that the provider supplies or recommends and set up the AirPort Extreme in Bridge Mode.

May 12, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Philip Raby1

The AirPort Extreme will need to connect to the router (think of it as a modem, even though it is more than that) supplied by your provider using an Ethernet cable. Connect from a LAN <--> port on the provider's router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

You could use the AirPort Extreme to extend the network, but it will still need to connect to the provider's router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection. That might mean running an Ethernet cable 3-4 rooms to the location of the AirPort Extreme.

It might be simpler to go ahead and keep the AirPort Extreme near the provider's router and then add another AirPort Extreme or an AirPort Express to wirelessly extend the signal from the AirPort Extreme.

AirPort Extreme won't connect to Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.