Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with clearing USB drive. Music files won't play on my DJ equipment

Hi,

I need some help with this.

I am a DJ and had put a bunch of songs onto a flash drive to hook up to my XDJ-1000 and all the songs worked great.

I then needed to adjust my playlist so I unplugged my USB from my gear and hooked it back up to my laptop. I then took the "contents" folder that had all the songs on there and moved it to the trash. I fixed my playlist in my software program and then put it onto my now "blank" USB drive.

I DID empty my trash with the deleted data while my stick was still mounted. When I went and plugged my USB back into my XDJ-1000 to play the music- it was giving me an error message saying the media cannot be found- could be collapsed files (or something to that effect). Some of the songs WERE working though and some were not. I repeated this process a couple times (don't ask me why) and now none of the songs are playing. It's a 64gb high speed USB drive so I know there is enough room on there. I only had about 20 songs on the playlist I added to it.

If I clear out my USB- through utilities and erase all the data properly- will this fix my problem? Do you have any suggestions?

This is kind of urgent as I have gigs and need this to work ASAP.

I appreciate your help.

~Ozell

Posted on May 8, 2015 9:23 PM

3 replies

May 9, 2015 11:21 AM in response to o_zell

I am a DJ and had put a bunch of songs onto a flash drive to hook up to my XDJ-1000 and all the songs worked great.

So buy another usb be drive. There giving them away these days.

buy a 32gig and 64gig drive. Yes, two. Why see below.

reboot computer. Use different usb port. Look to see if data made it to the flash drive. Check format of drive in disk utility.

I then needed to adjust my playlist so I unplugged my USB from my gear and hooked it back up to my laptop. I then took the "contents" folder that had all the songs on there and moved it to the trash.

Why would you do this. Bad move. Never again. Create a new folder with a name like "moved for awhile".

I fixed my playlist in my software program and then put it onto my now "blank" USB drive.

Did it appear when you looked in the finder?

I DID empty my trash with the deleted data while my stick was still mounted.

So the old music files were deleted.

When I went and plugged my USB back into my XDJ-1000 to play the music- it was giving me an error message saying the media cannot be found-

Could be a generic message without much meaning.

could be collapsed files (or something to that effect). Some of the songs WERE working though and some were not. I repeated this process a couple times (don't ask me why) and now none of the songs are playing. It's a 64gb high speed USB drive so I know there is enough room on there. I only had about 20 songs on the playlist I added to it.

If I clear out my USB- through utilities and erase all the data properly- will this fix my problem?

You can try that. So, you have all your music files on you pc/mac. I assume the flash drive should be formated for the pc. There are two formats Fat32 and exFat. exFat is for larger Flash Drives, generally for drives larger than 32gig. Though Fat32, the older format, will work with 64gig, and larger, drives too.

Do you have any suggestions?

This is kind of urgent as I have gigs and need this to work ASAP.

So buy another usb be drive. There giving them away these days.

Help with clearing USB drive. Music files won't play on my DJ equipment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.