Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DISK PERMISSIONS PROBLEM?!

Hello! I recently restored my HD system to an older date after coming across permission differs/errors(?) after verifying permissions on disk utility. However after I restored my system and verified disk permissions again, I got the following:

I already ran repaired disk permissions and it says repair complete but when I run verify again, I seem to run into the same set of messages??

I was wondering if this is something I should worry about because they don't seem to fall under the list of messages that Apple says I can safely ignore. I was wondering if it'd be a better idea for me to reinstall the OS and restore or something? Thanks for your help!!

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Dutch.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Italian.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Spanish.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/German.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/Japanese.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/dt.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jce.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar ", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/management-a gent.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib", should be 95, user is 0.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/dt.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/jce.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/management- agent.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/lib/security/bl acklist", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries", should be 95, user is 0.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPlugin Cocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/ Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Group differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be 80, group is 0.

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/UIAgent.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AppleVNCServer.bundle/Contents/Su pport/LockScreen.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBEth ernetHost", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Group differs on "private/var/log/kernel.log", should be 80, group is 0.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/kernel.log", should be -rw-r----- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Group differs on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be 80, group is 0.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw-r----- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

Group differs on "private/var/log/system.log", should be 80, group is 0.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/system.log", should be -rw-r----- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 9, 2015 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 3:11 AM

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 3:11 AM in response to dondonburi

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

May 9, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi! Thanks for replying! Yeah, I've seen that page and tried cross-checking the permission notices etc with the ones I got, and got worried because some of them were NOT included in that list?

So what you're saying is, as long as repair permissions is completed etc, there shouldn't be anything I need to worry about? Would it be a good idea to run verify disk just in case? Or would you recommend a clean install after backing up my files anyway just to be safe? Usually permission issues aren't too big an issue to worry about are they?

May 9, 2015 3:22 AM in response to dondonburi

So what you're saying is, as long as repair permissions is completed etc, there shouldn't be anything I need to worry about?

Correct!

Would it be a good idea to run verify disk just in case?

Nope - has nothing to do with permissions.

Or would you recommend a clean install after backing up my files anyway just to be safe?

Nope!

Usually permission issues aren't too big an issue to worry about are they?

Nope!

May 9, 2015 3:23 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you so much for your patience! I'm literally worried out of my skull over anything that my laptop shows that could be problematic... especially considering yesterday I had to get my battery replaced and when I booted it on, turns out that the service provider had left it at a state to boot on a network?? So I had a panic when I found that the permissions were showing stuff like that. 😢

EDIT: Just in case, is there anything about permissions that I should be concerned with?

DISK PERMISSIONS PROBLEM?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.