Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages 5 hyperlink does not work

I use "Add LInk" extensively. When I use the feature, and insert the url, the feature does not replace "apple.com".

If I insert the url and then type in the "Display" text, it sometimes works. What I cannot seem to do is highlight the display text and then insert the url where it says to do so (Link).

I have seriously thought of going back to Pages 4 (which is far, far more user, e.g. writer, friendly). The problem is that Pages 4 has difficulty accepting text and formatting from Pages 5.

I have found a workaround, though:

1. Insert the url.

2. Copy the Display text

3. Highlight the url and then Add Link

4. Paste the display text in the Display box.

If someone has a better idea, I would appreciate any assistance.

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 9, 2015 6:48 AM

7 replies

May 9, 2015 7:35 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I have tried that. It does not work. Intuitively, you should be able to (1) highlight the text you want to host the link and then (2) insert the url.

When you do, it appears that the link works - until you check the link and find that it says www.apple.com.

What also seems to work is to highlight the text, go to add link and then exit. When you then edit the link, it gives you www.apple.com. If you then edit the link with the url, it seems to accept it.

I can't prove it, but it seems like it worked fine when I first upgraded to Pages 5, and then, more recently, it has become buggy.

It is very annoying as I tend to use links instead of footnotes.

May 9, 2015 8:25 PM in response to veeper

How to set HTML links in any Pages v5 release:

1. Select the text that you wish to apply the HTML link too
  2. Right-click, and choose Edit Link, or use command+K keyboard shortcut
  3. Type in the full, or abbreviated HTML of the site you want to link too, and press return to set it
  4. Optional: Change the Display Name, and press return to set it
  5. Click outside of the link dialog in your document body text — the Edit Link dialog will disappear.
  6. Click the link, and choose Open to see it in the browser

May 9, 2015 10:20 PM in response to veeper

veeper wrote:

I have tried that. It does not work. Intuitively, you should be able to (1) highlight the text you want to host the link and then (2) insert the url.

When you do, it appears that the link works - until you check the link and find that it says www.apple.com.

What also seems to work is to highlight the text, go to add link and then exit. When you then edit the link, it gives you www.apple.com. If you then edit the link with the url, it seems to accept it.

I can't prove it, but it seems like it worked fine when I first upgraded to Pages 5, and then, more recently, it has become buggy.

It is very annoying as I tend to use links instead of footnotes.

Which is it? And what did I say to do?

Peter

Jul 5, 2015 11:40 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Adding links works, but you have to turn it on its head.

1. Select your url and copy the url

2. Paste it where you want in the document.

3. Select the url and right click to add link.

4. Edit the link and add the text you want in the display box.

5. exit.

It does not work to highlight the text and add the url; you have to do it the other way around.

pages 5 hyperlink does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.