Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook keeps crashing - please help!

Hi,

Ever since yesterday my Macbook keeps crashing - I don't know what is causing it but I get the spinning wheel and most times I have to restart my Mac as it becomes unresponsive not just in the app thats open.

Yesterday I downloaded two zip files from 'Mediafire' (which I do once a week), there were a couple of the usual annoying 'Malware' popups but I just closed them. Then the problem started when I was logged into Mailchimp on my Chrome browser. Since then I have had to restart my Macbook about 5 times.

I am by no means a technical genius when it comes to Macs but I have attached screenshots from my Console for the latest crash - could somebody please look and tell me if theres anything out of the ordinary on there?

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Scott

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 9, 2015 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 8:25 AM

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 8:25 AM in response to scottstreak

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Macbook keeps crashing - please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.