Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making bootable snow leopard external drive using time machine restore

I have my entire hard drive using snow leopard backed up on time machine. I would like to copy everything to an external drive. I would like this external drive to be bootable so I can use snow leopard from there--just as I would from my HD. My thinking is that I will then upgrade my HD to Yosemite and can still use Snow Leopard from the external. Can I do this? How? Any other suggestions to achieve this goal?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Machine

Posted on May 9, 2015 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2015 9:10 AM

Yes, providing the hard drive is attached to the computer. Just copy the files from your internal to the external drive. Then restart holding down the option/alt key, select the external as the startup disk, and let the boot continue. If successful, install Yosemite on the internal.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2015 9:10 AM in response to LHM

Yes, providing the hard drive is attached to the computer. Just copy the files from your internal to the external drive. Then restart holding down the option/alt key, select the external as the startup disk, and let the boot continue. If successful, install Yosemite on the internal.

May 13, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Eric Root

It didn't work Eric. First I had all kinds of permission/password notices. When I finally got it all

copied, it does not show up at Systems Preferences>Startup Disk. At startup with option key the disk is labeled EFI Boot. I am afraid to try it. The disk is formatted MacOs Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table. Seems like it should be OK. I think I will install Snow Leopard from my iMac install disk and move/migrate the rest from my HD. Never tried that before.

Making bootable snow leopard external drive using time machine restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.