Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My jpeg files are turning into Unix Executable files!

I removed the hard drive of my old Mac G5 so I could recycle the computer, but save the files on the hard drive. I hooked it up to a Universal Drive Adaptor and connected it to my Mac OS X. I can view most things. While looking at wonderful photos from many years ago, I did one simple thing: some of them were sideways, so I simply rotated them. Next thing I know, every jpeg that I rotated had been converted to a "Unix Executable File" and the photo is gone! Where the thumbnail of the photo should be, there is only a gray tile. When I click on the tile, I simply get this Unix Executable File text. When I right click on the tile and then click on Get Info, a column appears that still shows the photo thumbnail. Also, when I click on "Quick Look," I can see the photo, but it is not accessible. I have taken a screen shot of all of these steps:

User uploaded file

I would be so very, very grateful if anyone can help me to A) convert the file back into a jpeg (or some similar file) and B) tell me how I can avoid letting this happen again. I can easily imagine someone else at some point looking at these photos and wanting to rotate them right side up, only to end up in this same unhappy situation.

Thank you very much,

Steph

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 9, 2015 12:07 PM

7 replies

May 10, 2015 10:10 AM in response to stephaniefromarlington

Great news, thanks & a very happy Mother's Day Steph! 🙂

could you please tell me what you mean by "Graphocs App?

OOPs, meant Graphics Apps, which would normally be the Apple included iPhoto, but I consider that a 3rd rate Graphic App. 🙂

Jeff has the cure BTW, do a Get Info in the Finder, look for Open With, choose a Graphics App like GC or even iPhoto, then check the Change All button after unlocking the lock.

May 10, 2015 7:16 AM in response to BDAqua

Dear BDAqua, First of all, thank you so much for responding. That alone made me feel a little less alone in my desperation! Secondly, forgive me for being such a computer novice, but could you please tell me what you mean by "Graphocs App?" When I search my Applications, I don't find any graphics app. I'll go ahead and download GraphicConverter, in any event, and try that and get back to you. Again, thank you so much for responding! -Steph

May 10, 2015 9:53 AM in response to stephaniefromarlington

For that photo file, if you look down the "Get Info" pane, the "Open with" ("Use this application to open all documents like this one.") is set to "Terminal." Have you tried to change that by toggling to the graphics program that you routinely use to view and/or edit photo files? GraphicConverter is a Mac-friendly photo program that has been around for many years. Because of the familiarity with its user interface, some prefer it to iPhoto.

Help! My jpeg files are turning into Unix Executable files!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.