Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple screenshot directions don't work

I tried and tried the Mac instructions to take a screen shot to no avail. I finally purchased a separate software (SnagIt) in order to get a screen shot from my Mac. I am still trying to figure that out. It seems that it should be so easy, it sure was on Windows. Does anybody know of a fairly simple workaround that WORKS? Command 3 (even 4) = NO CIGAR on my system. I have a new Mac with Yosemite. HELP! It was so easy when I was on Windows and I do not want to go back, EVER!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Just want screenshot function

Posted on May 9, 2015 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 12:11 PM

Take picture of the entire screen Cmd-Shift-3
Take picture of a selected area Cmd-Shift-4 and Drag over an area
While dragging:
  • Hold Spacebar to move selected area.
  • Hold Shift to change size in one direction only (horizontal or vertical)
  • Hold Option for center-based resizing.
Take picture of a specific window/object Cmd-Shift-4, then press Spacebar, then Click on the window/object

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Coach Red

Take picture of the entire screen Cmd-Shift-3
Take picture of a selected area Cmd-Shift-4 and Drag over an area
While dragging:
  • Hold Spacebar to move selected area.
  • Hold Shift to change size in one direction only (horizontal or vertical)
  • Hold Option for center-based resizing.
Take picture of a specific window/object Cmd-Shift-4, then press Spacebar, then Click on the window/object

May 9, 2015 2:32 PM in response to lllaass

I use a CP Logitech keyboard, but I have a command button that is used as the alternate for this keyboard. It works as 'command' for all other Mac stuff, but maybe not the screen shot? I even pulled out that stupid little mac keyboard too (in a drawer because I hate it), but that doesn't seem to be the issue, thanks though. Yes, I look at the desktop, as hard as it is to FINALLY get to (some things I miss about Windows, but not much), but there are no screen shots there. I even tried 'finder' and searched for .png extensions, but again, nada. I am willing to try a work-around if anybody has one. Like with my Windows 7 I had to copy it to 'paint' and then print the shot from there. I am open to ideas! 🙂

May 10, 2015 9:41 AM in response to stedman1

Ah, I see, I neglected to write the 'shift' part, unfortunately I WAS using all 3 keys. CMD+shift+3 and tried CMD+shift+4 (all at the same time) to see if at least my cursor would become an 'area picker' + as stated. Alas, it MUST be just a little glitch. Could always be operator error (usually is) but I can't tell what I could possibly be doing wrong. I will study SnagIt further to see if I can get THAT to work. However, it is mothers day, so being a mom I am going to relax and enjoy and mess with THIS crud more tomorrow LOL. 🙂

Apple screenshot directions don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.