Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac is running VERY slow for months. Suggestions as to what I should do? Should I make a Genius appointment?

Slow 2011 iMac - been like this for months and have finally had enough. All software updated and plenty of hard drive space. Would love any suggestions. Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 9, 2015 2:02 PM

1 reply

May 9, 2015 2:09 PM in response to mulder1996

Slow Mac Performance? This Article Solves It!

How to fix slow shutdown and startup times. | MacTip.net

Or try the ultimate fix: Backup your files, erase the HDD, then reinstall OS X.

Drive Erase for Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select the volume you wish to erase from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

2011 iMac is running VERY slow for months. Suggestions as to what I should do? Should I make a Genius appointment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.