Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my Iphone with an android device

I have several times had the need to find an apple device, but only had an android device available.

But unfortunately, that is not supported.

To me it seems that Apple deliberately have chosen that you cannot find an Iphone with a competitors product.

Is that because Apple does not see their products as valuable, and not worth being found?

Just a wondering customer.

Kjeld Flarup

Other OS

Posted on May 9, 2015 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 1:44 PM

You can use a web browser on any computer. The problem with the Android device is that it doesn't treat all websites equally, which to be fair the iPhone doesn't either, however the iPhone does have an app which android doesn't.

Just use a computer, there are enough of them around.

10 replies

May 14, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well I didn't see any computers around at Legoland today. Also think that is is not so easy to find one when I go on vacation.

Maybe websites are not treated equally by Android, but iCloud does not give it a chance to prove otherwise.

But I actually find it hard to believe that the Android operating system is causing the problem. To me it seems that Apple is Lazy and only wants to test ICloud with Apple devices. A negligence which the rest of us cant afford to allow.

May 14, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Kjeld Flarup

Apple even block access to iCloud.com on iOS devices! It pushes you to buy a device for every user that needs to access to iCloud.

In Firefox on Android, load iCloud.com. In settings use the 'request desktop site' option & reload. You should now be able to login.

Then try the Find My iPhone app - it fails to load for me, however you may have better luck with another browser, such as Dolphin or Boat. Be sure to request the 'desktop version' to spoof a supported browser & let us know if you find one that works.

May 16, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Winston Churchill

What am I missing?

User uploaded file

iOS doesn't offer the ability to login to iCloud.com in mobile Safari - it just points to 'setup this device' & 'download iCloud apps'.

You can say it isn't 'blocked' – if you are willing to install a third party app & do browser spoofing to view your content.

iCloud.com appears entirely useless on iOS. You have work around the traps that Apple has deliberately placed in your way.

It's easy to say it's a non issue, untill you try to check your iCloud email on someone else's iOS device – Apple says no.

I can't believe Apple doesn't have the resources or talent to make a web front end that works on mobile devices.

May 16, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Drew Reece

You start off reasonably by asking if you are missing something, but then seem to assume you aren't and wander off into a rant against Apple.

It's all about code that doesn't work well on mobile devices, just like I said, if you really need to check, tap the URL window, swipe down on the pop up window that appears and choose show desktop version.

May 16, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Drew Reece

I'm sorry I don't see where you are going with this. The point is that the reason that I cloud isn't available to android or iOS through a browser is because mobile browsers can't run the features provided by the site, not because Apple want to block it from Android users. There is no conspiracy, it's just the way it is, if you had an up to date system you'd be able to demonstrate this the way I said.

May 16, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks for the tip with using desktop version, although success was rather limited.

I actually managed to get a map on the screen with chrome, but with incorrect data.

Still I wonder what it is that fails, because it works on Linux browsers, although I saw Active X mentioned in the page source.

Anyway, it still doesn't make sense, that Apple does not make a simplified version of find my Iphone, so people can find their precious devices.

Or maybe launch a Find My Iphone app for Android.

May 17, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

@Winston Churchill,

A mobile site that forces you to use a desktop version that doesn't support mobile devices is not a solution IMO.

When any site has 'mobile' & 'desktop' versions there should be some feature parity - that is just accessibility. I don't think they must be 100% feature identical, but the current iCloud.com isn't even trying to give any mobile support.

Having a newer OS should not be a requisite for viewing a webpage on a device that is already supported by that service.

You could consider me 'hostile' in this regard because I see Apple failing with mobile iCloud.com support & they have done this for so long that it appears to be more than just an oversight or error.

Mapping works in the mobile browser for other companies as do all of the other comparable iCloud.com services, why are Apple the only ones who fail to make the mobile & desktop web work?

It concerns me that in my hour of need I'll be locked out of tracking a device just because I only have access to a device that Apple don't care to support.

@Kjeld Flarup,

It's beyond me why it has to be like this, you can try the feedback page if you want to let Apple know, it might help get it addressed.

http://apple.com/feedback/

If your location was incorrect that may just be an artefact of how location services works, reload the page after a few minutes, the location may become precise as more data is collected. After about 12.5 minutes GPS could have a fix if it can see enough satellites but you need to repoll the device to encourage it to give a better location. If it was just a broken webpage, you have my condolences 😝

Look at Prey if you want an alternate way to track iOS & Android devices, there are other antitheft apps too, but they can't compete with Apple on iOS for integration.

https://preyproject.com/

Find my Iphone with an android device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.