Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac froze up with security-alert told to call 647-360-4442

Today my Mac running Yosemite froze up and displayed a message that there was an intrusion attempt and I needed to immediately call 1-647-360-4442.

I of course did not do this as this was very suspicious to me. Is anyone else having this kind of problem? Why has Apple not WARNED their customers about this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), File conversions

Posted on May 9, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 2:58 PM

See:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/

4 replies

May 12, 2015 4:58 PM in response to luckylindaq

Hi Luckylindaq & anyone else who has experienced their computer pages freezing & being apparently hijacked by such a pop up.

User uploaded fileThis happened to me a little while ago today for the first time. The number to call was 6473604454. I called bc although suspicious, I was curious. Here's what followed: I got some guy on the phone with an Indian accent who could hardly understand. I asked him first when he answered spewing something like " Thank you for contacting bla ?? blah blah... security for BLA BLA ( indiscernible). Immediately I responded asking "Security for WHO or WHAT exactly??". He repeated the the indiscernible Bla Bla Blaa from the first time, but I couldn't make it out that time either. I did hear him mention it was Mac or PC, so I said; "Hi, I'm calling bc i received a security warning on my computer screen telling me not to turn off my computer bc of a virus & to call this number. What do you know about that? Do you work for Apple? " . He asked me what it said, then he said ok that he's going to help me. He asked me immediately if I'm calling about a PC or MAC & how many users access the device. The next thing he said is that he wanted to fix the problem but would need to connect his server to my computer remotely, was this OK...

That was the end of the call bc I hung up on him. I will say that before any of this, when the message appeared, all my open windows including the page I had been on were frozen & my options were greyed out. I IMMEDIATELY took a screen shot of the pop up warning scam & force quit my browser. This was Safari btw..

A number called me back immediately which I did not answer, but I'm assuming it's related. 9255243356

Hopefully this information will help other potential scam victims avoid getting it stuck to them. NEVER let strangers who you cannot verify 100% connect to your device.

Maybe you can WARN YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!! APPLE???

Screen shot is included here.

Mac froze up with security-alert told to call 647-360-4442

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.