Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

proof of ownership

my macbook pro got ripped off and i need to provide proof of ownership for insurance. anybody know how i can get a copy of my product registration from apple? i have my computers serial number written down but that's about it.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 23, 2006 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2006 4:19 PM

If you put your serial # in the slot here : http://www.apple.com/support/contact/ it gives you the date of purchase. Than call them and they will fax or email you a copy of the sales receipt.

MBP 2.0 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.7)
7 replies

Oct 30, 2006 8:57 AM in response to silverton

computer was a gift so i don't think a copy of the original receipt will cut it for proof of ownership. that's why i was more interested in getting a copy of the product registration. attempts to communicate with a human at apple have either met with failure or resulted in no usefull information.

anybody know if there is a upc/proof of purchase bar code on the original packaging. i still have that. just don't have it accessible at the moment...

macbook pro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Oct 30, 2006 9:38 AM in response to silverton

I believe there is a bar code on the box. I just bought second hand and the guy said the absense of the bar code on the box was because apple needed it for the iPod/computer deal, ie proof of purchase.

I have seen these photographed and shown on eBay for proof of ownership.

Maybe someone should write software to disable stolen Macs whenever they try to install updates online, fancy a business start-up?

proof of ownership

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.