Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After using it for a few weeks, my MacBook has creaky hinges?

So I purchased my MacBook on April 10th, got it April 14th, and have used it daily. I love everything about it since I heavily rely on iCloud and other could things, but since about Thursday of this week, I've noticed that the MacBook has started developing a quiet creak when I move the display. What should I do?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Silver.

Posted on May 9, 2015 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2015 5:25 PM

Invoke the warranty and get it repaired or replaced.

8 replies

May 11, 2015 1:42 PM in response to szymonrules

Any resolve with the hinge issue? I now have a click on both the left AND right sides now. Its a weird click that sounds like plastic possibly. What I can't figure out is I thought the hinge was made entirely out of metal right? I've watched a few tear downs of the Macbook and so far haven't seen a more detailed view of the hinge. I looked in there with a flashlight and still can't make out where its coming from.

May 19, 2015 8:47 PM in response to szymonrules

Thanks for the update about the Macbook 2015 hinge issue. I've since seen it entirely disappear after using it for the second week now. Not sure how that's possible, must have just been that it was so new? I can't for the life of me understand how it could just go away on its own. I am however glad it's an Apple product, I have the security of knowing if the issue arises again it'll be taken care of eventually. Please follow up and let us know what happens when you get your MacBook back this week. Cheers ~

Sep 7, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Under_D0G

The hinge is made out of aluminium, an all metal new redesign hinge, but since this new design is so thin, Apple need to separate the display module, which previously built into the hinge to make it thinner, so the display module now has been incorporated into the logic board. Therefore, flexi cables are needed to connect the display and the module. Try flipping to the back of the MacBook. You can see there's a gap at the hinge, torch inside and you can see there are 4 flat black flexi cables. When tilting or opening and closing the lid, the hinge's flat metal part actually will touches it. New machine with new cables (new cable is harder) will produce plastic sound (Flexi is plastic) when being flexed. As for your case, the cables will become softer after some heat and intense closing and opening the lid. So that can be explained why your creaking noise went off all of sudden by itself.

After using it for a few weeks, my MacBook has creaky hinges?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.