Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get a List of apps on ipad, and folders they are only?

MY iPad is a mess. I want to wipe it and start over. I do not want to reinstall apps from the last backup as I am sure problems are there.

while I can get a list in iTunes of all the apps I ever downloaded, I just want a list of what is there recently. And since I made folders of many, I need to know what apps are in what folder.

Is there a way to do this? An app? Terminal commands? Plist?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 9, 2015 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 9:37 PM

Cconnect your iPad to iTunes on your computer, then select your device and click on it's Apps tab.

BTW, when you backup your device, applications are not backed up, so if you're really experiencing issues, making a fresh backup to your computer with Encryption option on, then restoring iPad from that backup is exactly what you should be doing.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 9:37 PM in response to Judy

Cconnect your iPad to iTunes on your computer, then select your device and click on it's Apps tab.

BTW, when you backup your device, applications are not backed up, so if you're really experiencing issues, making a fresh backup to your computer with Encryption option on, then restoring iPad from that backup is exactly what you should be doing.

May 9, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Rysz

so if apps are not backed up, and I have to reinstall apps again, I don't remember which apps I want on the iPad. Sure, i remember a few that I use the most, but there are many I have not used yet, just waiting for me. I don't remember what they are.Thats why I want to see a list so I can remember.

My iPad is badly messed up. It won't even make backups anymore. It says it is backing up, but then never completes. It is forever waiting for syncing to start. There are 2 apps that are loading and waiting. I try to delete them but they will not delete. I tried downloading them again. While they appear in iTunes they are not working on the iPad.I don't know what to do.

May 9, 2015 10:52 PM in response to Judy

Can you connect to iTunes and is your device recognized by iTunes? If it is, then when you connect it and select your device, clicking on the Apps selection in the sidebar of the device menu will show you all of the apps that are on your device's Home Screens. It will also list all of the Apps you have purchased for your device in a list on the left with the option to Install any apps you do not have on the device, or Remove any apps you do have on the device:

User uploaded file

You can click the Remove option on all of the ones that you have installed on the device if you wish, and the option will change to "Will Remove". Then sync the device, and it will remove all of the apps.

Then you can go through the list and choose the ones you want to put back on it. Click the Install option and it will change to "Will Install" then sync.

Cheers,

GB

May 9, 2015 10:59 PM in response to gail from maine

Yes, i know that list is there. But it doesn't tell me which apps are in which folders. And the list is too short. i have to keep scrolling. I want to print a list or view a list that shows more than a few at a time. And I have tried that already. I asked to remove some and tried to sync. Ever since then it won't sync, just waits for sync to restart.

May 9, 2015 11:20 PM in response to Judy

Yes it does. On the Home screens to the right, all of the ones that are in folders show in the folders that they are in:

User uploaded file

The Home screen that is showing above is a folder that I labeled "Photography". It has 5 apps in it....

You can click the "+" sign at the top of the screen to create a new folder. You can then rename it to whatever you want. And (sorry - just realized this), you can drag and drop any apps that have the "Install" option on them to a Home screen or folder. So, if you remove all of the apps you have, and then sync, you can basically rebuild your home screens as you wish.

Cheers,

GB

May 10, 2015 12:41 AM in response to gail from maine

YYes, that is all true. I can see the apps and folders they are in WHEN APPS ARE ALREADY THERE ..

BUt if I wipe my iPad, I will have no apps except those that come with iOS. I will have to build from scratch. I will be able to,see all my purchased apps that I got since the App Store opened. But I don't want all of them on the iPad. Far, far too many. I just want to know which of them I really used and want back on the iPad. There are probably even too many of those.

SO back to to the original,question, how can I find a list of what is there now, and view it independently of iTunes? And how can I see which folders they are in so that I can create them again. I can't possibly remember that. I don't want to list it by hand. That info has to be somewhere.

May 10, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Judy

There is no such list.

Why not just start with the apps you know you use, and go from there. It's not really a major thing to re-download the OTA if you have Wifi....You must have some idea of what apps you want on your device. If not, then take screen prints of your Home screens and folders - hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and release them quickly. These photos will go to your Photo Stream which, if you are signed onto the same iCloud account on your Mac, you can view or print the screenprints from iPhoto.

Cheers,

GB

How can I get a List of apps on ipad, and folders they are only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.