Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Apple blocking the installation of iDVD

I am attempting to install iDVD using the iLife 11 master disk.

The option to install iDVD is dimmed. A notice came up saying that a SuperDrive is required to use iDVD. Well, I am installing this software on a Mac Mini that has a Blu-ray/DVD burner connected to it. Any ideas why Apple is preventing me from installing iDVD on this machine?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16/

Posted on May 10, 2015 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2015 3:20 AM

No mention there of that drive supporting non-bluray disks?

19 replies

May 10, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Klaus1

No mention there of that drive supporting non-bluray disks?

I guess that's true. But this drive will burn DVDs, (and even CDs as well).

As I researched this issue on the web I found others with the same problem. There is a fix!

iLife: How to Install iDVD on a Macintosh Without a SuperDrive.

Unfortunately, Apple has removed the procedure from their website.

May 15, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Is the drive recognized by Disk Utility? If it is you may be able to: 1 - use the demo version of Pacifist to install iDVD and it's support files, i.e. themes; or 2 - use DU to make a disk image of the iLife 11 disk and install from the disk image.

Hi Old Toad,

Yes, Disk Utility fully recognizes the drive. In fact, I was surprised to learn that Disk Utility will burn Blu-rays.

I have Pacifist. Are you saying that Pacifist can "force" the installation, even when the installer doesn't want to do it ?

This is my drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16/

May 22, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Just for your information there was another workaround for that about a year ago. It was to reset the Mac's clock back a year to a date before the certificate expired. That allowed the installed to work as it should.

Once again you are demonstrating your deserved level XI status.

I think this whole "certificate" thing is an evil plot ! I can certainly understand that as computer systems move forward, eventually, older programs will quit working. But I can't understand any attempts to intentionally break them.

I'm still using a number of older pieces of software that work perfectly. Perhaps they don't have a certificate stone around their neck. I occasionally use a 10-year-old version of FileMaker that works just great.

Well, you and I figured out some time back that if you want to use optical media on a Macintosh, you have to be Sherlock Holmes occasionally.

( Lately I have been editing HD movies with QuickTime 7 Pro, and using Toast 12 to make Blu-rays. It's so frustrating to go from a terrific piece of software like iDVD to Toast 12. but, it's "all we got!" for Blu-rays. )

By the way, did you know if you create a image file with toast, ".toast" file, that Apple's Disk Utility will burn the Blu-ray just fine ?

May 23, 2015 11:53 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Is there a particular reason why you are using QuickTime 7 Pro to edit ?

I'm just moving some shows off of my TiVo. So all I need to do is some trimming at the beginning and at the end. This file goes directly into Toast 12 with no conversion so I can easily make a high-definition Blu-ray.

I have also done this using iMovie HD 06 and Final Cut Pro. Both of these programs do some conversion and are more complicated than I need.

The disappointment in all of this is that there are no good Blu-ray authoring programs for Macintosh. Toast 12, is "OK", but comes nowhere near the power and ease of use of iDVD.

May 23, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Ziatron

I suppose the only advantage of using iMovie HD 6 ( and possibly FCP ) would be that any chapter markers set using this would be seen in your Blu-ray disc by setting in Toast Preferences> Audio & Video>Chapter Markers to Automatic.

Mind you, if Toast can handle the Tivo file without re-encoding, then that is a great time saver.Probably worth forgoing the Chapter Markers.

May 23, 2015 3:27 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

The primary advantage with iMovie 6 HD is that it creates the movie file inside the iMovie project package when you save any edits and there's not exporting necessary to get it into iDVD. Just drag the iMovie project package into iDVD and you've got the movie. It's also a higher quality that those movies from later versions of iMovie that need to be exported.

May 23, 2015 8:14 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

My biggest problem with using Toast 12 is that there is no way to see what your work will look like until you have burned a Blu-ray disc.

My normal procedure with iDVD is that I create an Image File. I then open that with Apple's DVD Player and I can see the exact final result before burning a disk. There's no way to do this with Toast. This takes more time and wastes blank Blu-ray discs.

Why is Apple blocking the installation of iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.