Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud contacts, but Not

I have about 3,000 contact on my MBP in contact, sync'd with iCloud.

I can see them all on the iCloud website.

On my iPhone and iPad I can only see about 2,000.

Stopped iCloud contact sync, said yes to delete all contacts, no contacts on phone,

added iCloud syncing back in, same 2,000 show back up.

I tried updating a couple of the ones that are not syncing back to my "i" devices,

and they still don't come through.

What gives ? Someone really smart have an idea ?

~Scott

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 10, 2015 1:25 AM

19 replies

May 10, 2015 2:06 AM in response to sknaf

Also - I can add new contacts on my MacBook and they propagate properly to both the web and the phone.

I do not want to sift though 3,000 contacts though to find the 1,000 are missing, and delete and re-add them.

Also updating existing contacts (missing on phone) on MBP does propagate to iCloud, but nothing comes though on phone.

"All iCloud" selected on phone under Contacts->Groups.

Stumped !

Jun 18, 2015 9:05 AM in response to sknaf

Really disappointing, has a ticket open with apple for a month. 2 "Sr" techs working on it, the only thing done in that time was done - I reset my phone network, and change my icloud password to something that I cannot remember so engineers can look at it.

Apple you push everyone to iCloud, and all your content there, but if you cannot even sync the contacts how can we put trust in this service.

~Scott

Jun 18, 2015 9:13 AM in response to sknaf

Apple is not here. This is a user to user support forum.

As for the limited number of contacts syncing, it is quite possible that you simply do not have enough available memory on your device to download them all.

To test this, free up some memory, then turn off Contacts on your device and then turn them back on again to force the sync. See if you have more that downloaded. If you do have more at that point, then you know your issue is not enough memory....

Cheers,

GB

Jun 18, 2015 9:24 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail - thanks for reply.

I did open an support ticket directly with Apple after I first posted this.

I have a new 128Gb iPhone 6, and I am currently using 50G of the 128.

My iPad Air is also not syncing all the contacts, but they all show up in iCloud, and on my MBP.

It's in the connection from iCloud --> iOS devices.

Also odd a different number of contacts sync to iPad and iPhone (both less than full iCloud #).

I can add new contacts, and they show up on all devices, so that also points to it not being a space or contact limit that I am seeing.

~Scott

Jun 18, 2015 9:31 AM in response to sknaf

Well, one way to make sure that it is not something more complicated than that would be to perform the test I recommended. If it was my issue, and if it had been an outstanding issue with Apple for this long, I would try it. It is a simple test, and easy to put back anything you delete. But, of course, that's your call....

And I'm a bit confused - in your first post you said that when you added new Contacts they did not show up... Nevermind - misread your post.

One other question. Is there a clear demarcation where the sync to the devices stop? Are they syncing in alphabetical order, and then can you determine what the next one would be? If you can determine that, delete that next Contact and see if it will then sync everything.\\

Cheers,

GB

Jun 18, 2015 9:43 AM in response to gail from maine

I did delete all the contacts off my iPhone, and resync'd form iCloud. Three times in fact, always came back with the same number. Short of my full contact list.

I just checked and have 60Gb free on phone.

I don't see the logic in it, but I will try your method - to delete some apps/music/pics, and try to sync contact again.

I *updated* some of the contacts that did not sync, and they still didn't sync, sorry if that did not come across as clear in the first post.

I can add new ones and they always sync.

I supposed I could try to figure out which ones are not syncing and delete them, and create new contacts with their information, but that seems like a lot of work for something that should just work.

And yes, I know Apple is a hardware company, and they already got my cash when I bought all their devices.

Jun 18, 2015 9:57 AM in response to gail from maine

No pattern to missing contacts, totally random, from all sections of alphabet, and no company or common theme (at least one that I can see).

They were added at various times over the years to my iCloud.

The test you suggested produced the same, albeit short amount of contacts.

One interesting thing I just tried is I duplicated one of the missing contacts (on MBP), and it shows up just fine on the iOS devices. It shows twice on MBP and once on iOS. I figured out which one was the non-syncing one on the MBP, and deleted that one.

So I just "manually" fixed a couple of the sync's. But that is not the fun way to go through my address book.

~Scott

Sep 28, 2015 4:28 AM in response to sknaf

IOS 8.4.1 not fixed.

iOS 9 fix was to remove contact count at the bottom of contacts, so now I don't know how many I am missing.

Apple support was very disappointing. Cycle though reps as they apparently quit, and never seem to call back unless I call them first.

Big Miss on Applecare.

Nov 6, 2015 3:31 PM in response to sknaf

I have one other recommendation that you may want to try, but first, when I reread this, I didn't see if you indicated whether or not the place where the sync stops is on the same Contact every time? If it is, have you tried deleting that Contact completely?

If all of the above is moot for you, then you might want to pursue this option:

1. Back up your phone to iCloud or iTunes so you can restore it later

2. Erase the device by going to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings

3. Set up the phone but do not restore it from your backup just yet, just sign in to iCloud when prompted, turning on Contacts when prompted

4. See if that has cleared up the issue

If it has, then that points to corruption in either one of your apps or your data, so you won't be able to use that backup. You will have to "manually" restore your device by downloading or syncing your apps, etc. If you have to do this, add your Apps and other media in small groups and to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.

If it hasn't, then follow Steps 1 & 2 above again, and when you get to the point where it asks if you want to restore it from your backup, do so.

Cheers,

GB

Nov 8, 2015 6:50 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail,

It's not that the sync stops. I can add new contacts and they show up fine.

In fact I have started just duplicating ones when I find contacts that don't sync, delete the original and all is fine - new contact syncs.

I upgraded from a 6 to 6s, and still have the issue, many OS upgrades along the way - no resolution.

I did try signing out of icloud, delete all contacts, and sign back in. Same ones missing.

I have been fixing them as I find them; but it is very disappointing and inconvenient, when I am on the road, or somewhere without my laptop and I find that I don't have a contact on my phone that I know is sitting in icloud.

I am going to try your steps on a spare phone I have. I have spent far too much time with apple, resetting and rebuilding, and they just ask for more logs, more debug. I hate resetting my phone, and even restoring from backup I have to resign into app, and settings.

~Scott

iCloud contacts, but Not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.