Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Music on iPhone without Computer or iMatch

I currently backup my iPhone 6 with iTunes on my Mac computer. I would like to switch to backing up with iCloud and have subscribed to the additional storage. One thing I can't figure out is how to back up my music that was not purchased on iTunes (ie ripped from CD's). I don't want to sign up for iMatch and I don't want to rely on my Mac. Can I move the music files to DropBox (or equivalent cloud storage)? Would I be able to get them back on iPhone without iTunes or a computer? Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 10, 2015 4:55 AM

6 replies

May 10, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Sparrowhawk8888

You cannot backup that music on iCloud.

You should be storing everything on your computer. From there you can always sync it to your iPhone if need be.

You should always maintain a backup copy of your computer as well.

"

iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in the cloud, like contacts, calendars, notes, My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Touch ID settings
  • Content you didn't get directly from iTunes, App, or iBooks Stores, like imported MP3s, videos, or CDs
  • iTunes in the Cloud and App Store content
    If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or iBooks Store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content."

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Backing up Music on iPhone without Computer or iMatch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.