Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any suggestions for a text replacement/substitution app?

I would like to install a text replacement/substitution app compatible with 10.4.11. It should be a system app, not an editor. I've checked out some various sites, including apple, but there's nothing available. The most I could find are APPs designed to replace Text Edit, which is not what I would like.

Its a tough challenge, but if it's findable anywhere I figured someone here ought to know.

Cheers!

P.S. Please do not suggest I upgrade to 10.5.

Power MAC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

Posted on May 10, 2015 7:04 AM

5 replies

May 11, 2015 7:42 AM in response to penname

Wow, you have found a word processing/text editor application which does not include a search and replace feature??? All the dozen or so I have used in the past quarter century all had that feature. 😕 In fact several of them (including obscure editors such as things which edit text in non text editing applications) seem to invoke the same kind of window which suggests to me there is maybe a system library component which does this but it is up to the programmer if they wish to make use of it or write their own.

May 11, 2015 4:41 PM in response to penname

Sure, by system app I mean to say that it needs to work in any word processing app, like word or text edit.

for system level stuff, there is the basic unix stuff like sed, awk, find, grep, etc.

I still do not understand this requirement. Your saying to want some type of system addon that can install that will effect how all editors on the system work.

That would assume that all the editors use the same system level api's. I doubt all the editors use the same set of system api's. First off some of these editors were in existence since the beginning of Unix like ed. vi and emacs have been around long before mac os x. A lot of open source software wants to run on many platforms. This software would not want to use a mac only interface.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Please describe what you want to do not how you want to accomplish the task.

Robert

Any suggestions for a text replacement/substitution app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.