Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advice on 4k monitors.

Basically, I am interested in buying a 4k monitor for my Macbook pro retina. I am a student studying Applied Sciences of Audio and Music Technology. When I first got my mac my intention was to get a HengeDock and then just get a thunderbolt display and have essentially a desktop for home and then a laptop for when I'm in lectures. Although after reading into the Thunderbolt display I notice it has essentially the same resolution as my Macbook (Macbook pro retina 13 inch late 2013 8gb of ram quad core i5 with intel iris 1536) and because I have my mac on a stand the screen would be the same distance away from my face so I would start to see pixels which I would like to avoid and sitting at £900 I think it's very over priced. So my attention quickly turned to 4k or UHD but as I understand it my Macbook is only powerful enough to push 4k at 30hz I have no Idea if that is good or not. I only browse the web, watch Netflix and do uni work I do a lot of work on Logic x and Ableton. From what I can gather these aren't too straining for the graphics card.

What I want out of the monitor. Firstly I would like to have the screen the same sort of quality as my Macbook such as colour and what not. I cannot fit anything bigger that 27-28 inch on my desk and I would like it to look premium to a certain degree I don't want it to look like an average monitor. I love the construction of the thunderbolt display. All in all, I want a 4k display that looks as good as my screen on my MacBook that simply just works I don't want to purchase something and be even slightly disappointed.

All of this for a budget of around £500

Can anyone help me?

Lewis

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 11:34 AM

There are no replies.

Advice on 4k monitors.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.