Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Safari 8.0.5 open sometimes (without a restart)?

Safari sometimes refuses to open - it's as if I'm clicking on an empty icon. But if I then do a restart, it loads. Usually this is the third (or fourth) time in a session when it decides to stop opening. I've cleared history, emptied caches, but neither seems to make any difference. I am on OS X 10.10.3 (wish I could go back to 10.10.1 - my 2013 Mac Pro would boot almost instantaneously - now it is slower than my old Dell, and I have a 3.7 Ghz processor and 32GB of RAM).

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 10, 2015 11:48 AM

3 replies

May 10, 2015 1:46 PM in response to FWBurr

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 28, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Linc Davis

I am having the same problem with the same versions of OS X - 10.10.3 and Safari - 8.0.5, but on a late 2012 iMac with a 2.7 GHz processor and 16 GB of memory. When it came to the point where Safari doesn't do anything when I click on the Safari icon in the dock, I opened the console, cleared the display and then clicked on the Safari icon again, but nothing appeared in the console. Not a single message. Does that give you a hint about what might be happening? There is not an obvious sequence of steps that occur before Safari seems to disappear, but I will try to be more aware of what I do before opening Safari each time.

May 29, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

It happened again this morning. I had saved some documents in Pages. I sent an email. Then when I tried to open Safari, nothing.

Here are the messages from the console right before I tried to open Safari:

5/29/15 7:39:13.571 AM com.apple.CommerceKit.TransactionService[1237]: Connection error while checking Apple Internalness. Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.) UserInfo=0x7fd6f0416ce0 {NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper was invalidated.}

5/29/15 7:39:13.640 AM sandboxd[324]: ([1238]) storeuid(1238) deny mach-lookup com.apple.tsm.uiserver

5/29/15 7:39:13.646 AM sandboxd[324]: ([1237]) com.apple.Commer(1237) deny mach-lookup com.apple.CrashReporterSupportHelper

5/29/15 7:39:19.778 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

5/29/15 7:40:02.432 AM com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[811]: Layout still needs update after calling -[NSSavePanelAlertStyleContentView layout]. NSSavePanelAlertStyleContentView or one of its superclasses may have overridden -layout without calling super. Or, something may have dirtied layout in the middle of updating it. Both are programming errors in Cocoa Autolayout. The former is pretty likely to arise if some pre-Cocoa Autolayout class had a method called layout, but it should be fixed.

5/29/15 7:40:26.265 AM cloudd[277]: Error fetching database URL from the server: <CKError 0x7f7f80f20f60: "Unknown Error" (1002); Retry after 3.0 seconds>

5/29/15 7:44:55.950 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

5/29/15 7:44:55.967 AM com.apple.iCloudHelper[1403]: objc[1403]: Class FALogging is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyCircle.framework/Versions/A/FamilyCircl e and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyNotification.framework/Versions/A/Famil yNotification. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

5/29/15 7:44:55.974 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

5/29/15 7:45:10.424 AM com.apple.dock.ecti[1404]: Failed to connect (textField) outlet from (ECTIHelperApp) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable

5/29/15 7:45:14.454 AM Console[1406]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why doesn't Safari 8.0.5 open sometimes (without a restart)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.