Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2015 keeps completely freezing and wifi issues

Hi,

I've had my macbook pro 2015 for about a month now and have encountered an array of problems, which hasn't filled me with hope from making the jump from windows to mac.

The first and most annoying one is that whilst browsing the internet on safari and chrome (I tried both) the whole computer freezes the mouse won't move/click the only option is powering it down. This has happened whilst I was constructing this message.

The second is that it will randomly drop wifi and not connect to certain networks, which is usually coupled with a complete freeze.

The specs are here:

Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

2.7ghz Intel i5 CPU

8 GB DDR3 RAM

Any help will be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts!

Ollie

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 12:17 PM

37 replies

Jan 17, 2017 7:13 AM in response to Ollies112

Hi

I've got the same macbook as you, which I purchased about 18 months ago. Over the last few months it's been crashing randomly and producing kernel panic reports. I'm not a heavy user, mainly surfing and watching some videos.

Apple diagnosed it as a graphics card failure and said the entire logic board would need changing, which is over £450. I'm gutted as this is my first Mac and it was meant to be solid and reliable.

I am outside the warranty period however I am hoping Apple might realise this is a bigger problem and offer some kind of free repair program.

FYI - I've formatted the drive and tried different versions of OS, no luck.

Jun 8, 2017 1:11 PM in response to pakhalid

Same problem, and unable to use it more than 5 minutes before it crashes... This problem become very frequent more than 6 months ago but apparently Apple doesn’t see that we are a lot to have it.... unfortunately I haven’t taked the Apple Care and just 900$ to repaire my MacBook.... hopping that one day Apple will admit this problem and let us have a free repair or a money back....

May 10, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Ollies112

I suggest you take it in for service since it's new and in warranty. However, if you are unwilling to do that then:

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

4. Reinstall Yosemite: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Then download and install theOS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

5. Reinstall Yosemite from Scratch:

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

How to Clean Install OS X Yosemite.

Then download and install theOS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Aug 12, 2015 3:30 AM in response to Ollies112

After going to apple support and the genius bar and getting the whole computer reset etc, I got home to find it still froze when connected to the internet. I switched from my BT Home hub to another router and it has been fine for 2 months now. Since now getting fibre optic and another BT router this problem of freezing (as explained in the original post) has returned 2 months later.

I have gone through all the possible steps the first time round with this problem, now I am really stuck as to what to do next.

Anyone able to shed some light on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 12, 2015 4:45 AM in response to Lexiepex

I have split the router 5ghz and 2.4ghz signals and still encountered the same problems as before and tried all the router settings as per Apple Supports instructions. The problem is if I travel and encounter a BT router/network (or any router that also freezes it) what do I do then?

It seems to be not only issue as the Macbook has a hard time loading pages on other routers and can take up to 10 second to load a basic webpage, and in a few circumstances times out.

Aug 12, 2015 6:10 AM in response to Ollies112

Splitting the two channels (by giving them different names) has nothing to do with it.

Why not use the working Router, if it works on your BT network and also on your older previous network, it will work everywhere BT, I suppose.

It has to to with the BT router, has it a Firewall set perhaps. It is very unlikely that you can solve this with settings in the mac.

I travel a lot of countries in Europe very often. I give you my settings for WiFi in SystemPreferences->Network:

Network->Advanced->Tabs:

TCP/IP: using DHCP, Configure IPv6=local link only

DNS: 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Proxies: nothing checked

Hardware: Configure=manually MTU=Custom 1453

Try.

Jan 2, 2016 7:36 AM in response to Ollies112

I have the same problem. I have a retina macbook pro 13' early 2015. Mine freezes even when connected with apple's latest router, airport extreme. Did you solve your problem? I went to the authorised service in Greece -because we don't have an apple store here- and after a week of testing they told me that everything is fine and that they didn't find any problems...... I' m really ****** off.

MacBook Pro 2015 keeps completely freezing and wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.