Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem using HDTV as external monitor

I have connected iMac PPC OS 10.4.11 to Samsung HDTV via Display/VGA adapter to HDMI plug.

The iMac recognizes the external monitor but the TV does not recognize the computer. I changed the TV settings to computer monitor mode, but that didn't do the trick. Appreciate help. I am trying to save my reliable old iMac as it is suffering from the dreaded vertical Shanghai lines.

G5 iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 1:34 PM

1 reply

May 10, 2015 9:28 PM in response to capt. zero

Unfortunately, the PowerPC iMac G5 doesn't provide a DVI or HDMI output signal, so you have to choose between two other options — either the VGA port on your TV (if there is one) or adapt the iMac's mini-VGA's output to composite video (RCA cable) and use that connection option on your TV. As soon as the iMac detects the TV, it attempts to configure a compatible resolution setting for both its screen and the TV to use. The iMac can only mirror the setting selected for its own screen. You may not be able to use the TV's optimal resolution, if the iMac's screen can't support it. Hopefully, a compromise resolution will be acceptable for you.

problem using HDTV as external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.