Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flickering samsung DVI compatible monitor (Lion/10.7.5)

does anyone have any idea why my just bought used Samsung 22" DVI compatible monitor FLICKERS when hooked up via DVI cable to my mac pro 1,1

i had to buy a DVI compatible monitor because my "mini Display port to DVI converter" from BELKIN i thought was broken but now the new one from Kanak is not working either and i figured to throw in the towel and not try to solve this riddle (since the mac store hooked up my computer to DVI with no problems) by just buying a used DVI compatible monitor.

now the thing has started flickering after using it for a day.

is this a global problem with the mac pro 1,1? with Lion? with this particular DVI monitor? with DVI?

anyone know?

p.s. i tried researching this on the net but not finding good answers.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Boot Camp of Windows 7 + Windows XP

Posted on May 10, 2015 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2015 12:44 PM

Hey hotwheels 22,

The article linked below details a number of troubleshooting steps that can help resolve display flickering issues with your Mac Pro.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

Sincerely,

Allen

6 replies

May 12, 2015 1:19 PM in response to CarlAVII

hi allen,

can i please ask you this?

i have two installations of boot camp on this mac pro and as i understand it these are native installations of windows software.

this may be a more technical question than i was thinking to ask but do you know if the flickering happens on the windows installations (as well as in the mac installation) whether this is possibly a hardware issue?

i mean obviously if it is a driver issue i have to install the driver on all three OS's (2 win and 1 OSX).

at the same time i had this really nasty issue with my CInema Display that had a Mini Display Port that used to work with this computer and at some point the display went black and stopped working so i got a new converter (to get to DVI on the Mac Pro) but the NEW one didn't work anyway - which is how i ended up with this old DVI monitor.

i don't know but the more i deal with this machine that i love the more i am thinking i should put it to rest.

THANKS

May 13, 2015 10:43 AM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22,

If the issue is happening in multiple operating systems, it's likely that the issue is a with the graphics-card in your Mac Pro. The article linked below provides information that can help should you choose to replace the video card in your Mac.

About graphics-card compatibility between Mac Pro models
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201805

Sincerely,

Allen

flickering samsung DVI compatible monitor (Lion/10.7.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.