Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to network MacBook Pro and iMac In OS 10 Yosemite

I have an iMac and a MacBookPro - both with the newest OS. I want to access the hard drive on each machine from the other. I have a minor handicap and have one computer on the main floor and the other one is upstairs. I need to be able to access a variety of files from each. I've tried everything according to instructions, but it doesn't work. On my MacBook I can see the shared "KGR iMac - but keeps asking for a password. I've tried the password from the MacBook, the one from the iMac, and the one from the Internet. None of them work. What password is it asking for?

Thanks to anyyone who can help me! - kathy

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 6:20 PM

6 replies

May 10, 2015 6:29 PM in response to kathyfromlouisville

It wants the password for the user account that you are logging into on the remote machine. Be sure you also open Sharing preferences to turn on File Sharing by checking the File Sharing box. You also need to click on the disk icon of each machine and Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. There is a checkbox in the upper panel labeled "Shared folder." Be sure you check that box.

Mac Basics- File Sharing

May 11, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Kappy

Im assuming "user account" is the one I use to log onto the computer, right? I've entered that password, but it won't take it. Also, now after rebooting my iMac, the hard drive icon isn't showing. How do I get that back? On my MBP, the hard drive icon is there and I checked to be sure the shared box was checked - it is. Once I get it back on iMac I will look to see about the checkmark there. thanks - kathy

May 11, 2015 7:09 PM in response to Kappy

Okay. So the two computers will take turns being the 'client' and the 'server.' If I'm on the MBP, i need to sign into the iMac with that as the 'server' I enter the name and pw of the iMac. Doesn't accept it. I try entering the name/pw of the MBP and that doesn't work either. It will not let me sign on with Apple ID.

So I go the other way and am on the iMac trying to sign into the MBP as the 'server' - and the name/pw don't work that way either. I'm sure there is some simple step I'm missing, but I sure don't know what it is. Yes, the 'shared folder' box is checked on both computer hard drives.

Would it be any easier if I used an external hard drive on a network?? or ?? I could copy all my files from both machines onto an external hard drive and access them from whichever computer I'm using. Or ???

Am I confusing things by the fact that both computers are mine and thus have my name on them?

It just doesn't seem like this should be so hard. I asked a guy at the local Genius Bar, but he set me up with iCloud and that only works with iWork documents. Since I switched from PCs after many years, I am more used to working the Microsoft Office and so 95% of my documents are in that.

I appreciate your help and try every suggestion. Thanks much! - kathy

May 11, 2015 10:46 PM in response to kathyfromlouisville

Did you enable File Sharing on each computer and set Shared Folder in the Get Info window of the shared drive? I happen to be doing this, too, the past couple of days in order to transfer from my iMac to a new MacBook. It's been working just fine here. When File Sharing is enabled, then in the Finder's sidebar you should see the shared computer.

User uploaded file Do this first.

User uploaded file Enable File Sharing

May 12, 2015 5:44 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, Kappy, for all your help!

Yes, I had done all the things you mentioned, but it still didn't connect.

SO! Today I went out and purchased an Apple AirPort Extreme and after a lengthy help session with Apple Care we got everything working fine! I don't fully understand what the hang-up was, but it is resolved. Anyway, I'm set up and working and able to access either computer from either computer...So all is well. Again, thanks for all your help and advice. - kathy

How to network MacBook Pro and iMac In OS 10 Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.