Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (Late 2014 2.8GHz/Intel Iris) won't wake monitor properly via HDMI

Similar to others my 2.8GHz Mac Mini won't wake my Samsung monitor (SyncMaster SA350) via HDMI. I am running OSX 10.10.3 and have verified that the HDMI cable is not the problem. The Dell PC the monitor had been hooked up to would wake the monitor without a problem. When I press a key on the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, or move the Magic Mouse the power led on the Mini turns solid and the monitor wakes to alternating black screen and white noise (think old school analog tv tuned to no channel) screens. Pressing combinations of Return, Space, while moving and clicking the Magic Mouse will eventually bring up the desktop or login screen.

Please do not respond with the link to self help troubleshooting monitor problems. This is a software or hardware problem. My monitor wakes just fine with the Dell PC but using the same cable will not with the Mini. Also there are MANY people reporting this issue with a WIDE variety of monitor brands.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 5:10 PM

6 replies

May 11, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Not2Bright10

Consistent with what I've been able to produce with the Mid 2010 model Mac mini.

In my case, it turned out to be a cheap RAM upgrade with memory sticks that just didn't cut it. Also, clearing the NVRAM solved the issue for at least half a week when I was still using that crappy RAM memory.

This is very important, as the graphics processor in these computers uses part of this memory to function.

So if you're using RAM that didn't come with your computer: swap the sticks with the originals, and see if that fixes it.

May 14, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Not2Bright10

I have the exact same problem with my 2.6Ghz Mac mini (Late 2014) but with a MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort-Cable delivered with my Dell U2414H monitor. At least every time when the Mac mini goes in standby (by its own) it won't wake up the monitor when I move the magic mouse or press any keys. The monitor stays black although the the led of the mac mini changes from pulsing to solid. After few seconds comes the message, that the computer sends no signal. In most cases it helped to change the input source on the monitor to something else and than back to displayport, but this is really annoying. And sometimes also this doesn't help and i have to switch the thunderbolt connections to get a signal.

I also tried several proposals from other threads (deactivate autopoweroff, set different delaytimes for standby, ...) nothing worked for me. Actually I try the option under energy savings to go not in standby mode when the monitor goes.

The only thing I wonder about is, that if I send the monitor to sleep manually with "active screen corners" in the screensaver options and come back everything works fine: the monitor gets immediately an signal and I can log in. It seams to be a problem when the Mac turns the monitor to sleep by its own (e.g. after 10 minutes after waking up for recording with eyetv).

Mac Mini (Late 2014 2.8GHz/Intel Iris) won't wake monitor properly via HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.