Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 8.0.6 Web Content Not responding

Ever since I upgraded to Safari 8.0.6 I have had constant problems with web pages stalling. If I pull up the "Force Quit Applications" window when a window stalls within a few seconds I see two notices in red, "Flash Player (Safari Internet Plugin) (not responding)" and "Safari Web Content (not responding)". If I kill them then Safari goes on for a bit before this all happens again. Any ideas about what I might do to clear this up?

TIA

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27 inch i7 2010 iMac with 12 GB RAM

Posted on May 10, 2015 4:08 PM

17 replies

May 11, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Arthur Busbey

Can I also commiserate? Not wishing bad to anyone, but I'm glad to at least know I'm not the only one. Extremely frustrating. I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing. I'm certain Apple /Safari developers screwed something up! This only happened UNTIL RIGHT AFTER that stupid update! What was I thinking. I always wait an extended period before ANY update and suggest the same.

(SIDE NOTE GRIPE) Apple did this to my 3rd gen iPad, too with their big iOS 8 update, and it's never been the same with my photo work I do. Apple even tried a hail mary by replacing both my wife's and mine, so I know it's not me.

Anyway..... I already had reverted as a long time Firefox user a while back to Safari so I can have it sync between all my iOS devices and my Macs.

* I'm not (yet) willing to "reset" Safari as I understand - it's like starting from scratch?

* And what was I thinking when I tried to use Time Machine to simply "restore" Safari. You can't! Apple has made all it's own software as an OS component. Safari can't revert back to an older version - at least with that method. What good is Time Machine?!

I do NOT want to call Apple support - it's become SO dumb'd down. I use to be an Apple employee, so I KNOW something's happened to their support.

So what is there to do? Say it isn't so - reset Safari? (NooOOO) Wait for a stupid update fix??

May 11, 2015 9:54 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

This is bad. Ever since the last "upgrade" (8.0.6), Safari is slow to the point of barely working at all. I start loading a page in Safari, eventually get frustrated enough to launch Chrome and open the page instantly, find the information I need, then switch back to see Safari still struggling to load that same page.

My internet connection is fast, testing at 94 Mbps. But Safari behaves like dial up.

May 14, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Arthur Busbey

Yes, I'm glad to see others having the same issue I'm having (at least from a continuity standpoint)... Looks like I will have to switch back to Chrome as well until this is fixed. I tried rebooting and even setting the browser back to version 7.1.6 using the Develop drop down and picking it under the User Agent Tab.

Apple any updates on when this will get fixed? I like using Safari.

May 15, 2015 8:02 AM in response to pkiser

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

May 15, 2015 9:55 AM in response to pkiser

I just submitted feedback to Apple on the issue. Also, yesterday I called apple support. They had me close the application and then open it back up holding down the command key. The pages seemed to load faster and better for a short while and then the dreaded stuck page started happening again. I noticed that if I opened another TAB, and pasted the URL from the TAB that would not load it would all of a sudden magically load in the new TAB. Strange business....

May 15, 2015 12:43 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

I'll add a "me too" Safari hanging to the list. Very frustrating and kept getting worse. Submitted feedback to Apple.

Really tired of force quitting over and over so have switched to Firefox or Chrome for now.

Tried all of the suggested "fixes" here and elsewhere, repaired permissions, removed plst files, Flash, etc. Things seem to improve for a very short time and then it's back to the beach ball.

Safari v8.0.6

OS X 10.10.3

Jun 13, 2015 3:13 AM in response to Arthur Busbey

I try to avoid "me too's" as they don't really add much to the discussion. But I'm breaking my rule. And yes, I've given feedback as well.

Apple, like most others, don't acknowledge bugs, but they will mostly get fixed in a follow-up release. For Apple's sake I hope I don't get too used to Chrome... it's working really well at the moment, and seems to take less CPU / Graphics resources on busy / noisy websites. I use Safari because I think I like the better integration with the OS, but...!

I've also tried turning off extensions and I don't see a difference.

Interestingly, I think this bug might well be confused with other "networking" issues on OS X 10.3.3. That's what I thought at first, and I was blaming my router after my Mac came out of sleep. I then, with the help of iStats, realised that there was nothing wrong with networking and as this thread testifies, Chrome works a treat!

Safari 8.0.6 Web Content Not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.