Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Prob17" wifi dropping

SO I've seen plenty of these discussions but never anyone answering a solution. Mostly responses like "oh yeah I have the same thing...by the way, here's another problem I have".

if anyone responses, please...just a solution to what seems to be an issue with a lot of people. It will just randomly drop throughout the day

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 10, 2015 6:13 PM

6 replies

May 12, 2015 2:42 PM in response to ferretless

Hello ferretless,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your MacBook Pro. I also apologize, I'm a bit unclear on the exact nature or scope of the issue you are describing (when it happens, where, under what conditions, etc). If you continue to have intermittent but persistent WiFi connection issues, you may find the information and troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity in OS X Lion or earlier - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

May 12, 2015 2:47 PM in response to brenden dv

Sorry I wan't clear... Throughout the day, normal use while either working on e-mails, streaming from Netflix/YouTube/any streaming service or even while editing (Adobe Premiere) - I'll look up at the wifi icon and notice it's not bold anymore - thus realizing wifi has gone out. My roommate has a brand new macbook pro as of a few months ago and has never had the issue I'm having.

thanks for the response

May 14, 2015 2:00 PM in response to ferretless

Hi, i've had the same problem, but oddly only for the last few weeks. I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro running Yosemite (10.10.3).

This is what i did earlier, and so far it's been fine, but i guess only time will tell.

Open System Preferences and go to Network (should be in the third row down) at the bottom of the Network window click on Assist me...

Then choose Assistant... Then just follow the instructions to set up a Location, the default name is the date and time, but you can change that.

Before the Location was set to automatic, which might have been the problem, but by setting up a specific Location for my/your Wifi/Internet connection means that it's not constantly checking for one, which is why it might keep failing. By telling our Mac's that our Wifi is the only one it needs to worry about, it should stay connected without falling off. But that's just a guess.

Hope this helps.

2011 MacBook Prob17" wifi dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.