Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I wipe/backup my Mac before sending it to Apple repair to get it fixed?

My Macbook Pro's screen is separating from the hinges of the motherboard and (from the experts) "possibly damaged the video card and need the entire screen replaced." I was quoted a decent price so I'd figured I'll let them fix it. After backing up my computer via an external hard drive I now wonder if I should wipe the entire computer and restore it after it is repaired?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 11, 2015 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2015 6:31 AM

You do not have to erase the HDD unless there is sensitive data. If you have backed up your data, then you are fine.

Ciao.

2 replies

May 11, 2015 7:30 AM in response to HeyMr.Owl

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Should I wipe/backup my Mac before sending it to Apple repair to get it fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.