You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Baseball/Softball Score Bug (including Outs, the count, and base positions)

I would like a quick and easy way to keep updating the the count, outs, inning, and which base is occupied for the softball games I record. I made a lower third bug with the graphics I want in Motion. Right now I can drop the bug in the timeline and at each instance (a strike or ball, out, etc.) I can slice the track and update the info. This is very tedious and time consuming. I'm fine with watching the game in real time I just want to be able to click on a setting that will update the info I need and mark a keyframe or something like that.

If this makes any sense to anyone I would love some feedback/advice.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:22 AM

15 replies

Jun 22, 2017 8:24 AM in response to Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm wrote:

Funny request. Seems to me that this would require some kind of "intelligent" plugin effect. …

uhm, well, no… I know, what the OP is missing - kinda 'buttons' in the Inspector, you push, and Motion adds (or minuses) a value… That would be handy for any lower-third which 'counts'.

For my lil' weekly football reports, I shorten the custom-built title, then opt-drag it = copy to the new part and change the numbers manually in it Inspector…

User uploaded file

Lucky me, a normal match shows 2,3, maybe 8 (sorry, Brazil!) goals only 😉

So, no AI needed, just some new Behaviours, such as Math, Boolean, Physics, and flexible GUI-elements… (list to be continued) .…

Still dreaming of a MotionX … 😝

Jun 22, 2017 10:45 AM in response to jamers99

jamers99 wrote:

I personally wasn't looking for anything automatic however I just want a baseball score box graphic. Similar to what you might see in TV when watching a MLB game. …

No clue of baseball, but a 'bug' like in your example is done in <15min, look done right now:

User uploaded file

needs some refinement, then publishing the parameters… late here, tomorrow morning (my timezone) available as a free plugin at fcp.co … I'll post the link here.

I guess, any number and text has to be customizable, and the yellow triangles switch topOFF/bottomON, topON/bottomOFF, right?

Red and green are constant, or 'team-colours'?

Any animations? Some fancy 'fold in'?

make a wish… 😉

(I really should start to SELL my plugins… how many baseball-reporters around the globe? each a 1$ or 2…)

Jun 22, 2017 8:08 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Funny request. Seems to me that this would require some kind of "intelligent" plugin effect. One that would be able to "watch" the video it's sitting on and know whether there's been a pitch, and whether it was a ball or a strike! I know AI Has come a long way lately but I doubt if this kind of things will be available any time soon. And if it ever is we editors better watch out, could lose our jobs.

Jun 22, 2017 10:09 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I personally wasn't looking for anything automatic however I just want a baseball score box graphic. Similar to what you might see in TV when watching a MLB game. I've searched the internet and even paid plug-ins and so far have come up empty for baseball. Other sports I can find but no baseball which is curious. There must be a plug-in out there for baseball.

May 11, 2015 10:19 AM in response to chuckdlsav

Not a clue how you could accomplish this easily because you'd need a script for each variable. That's one layer for each variable and a prewritten set of options. Makes my head hurt.

There are many sports and events-style forums that might be able to offer you some help; this cannot be a unique request or issue for a certain type of shooter.

The big dogs at the networks use a downstream keyer and character generator that is dedicated to the task of creating those supers, erm, bugs as you call them. Programming a dedicated visual effects computer for baseball is entirely different than trying to build a plugin for FCPX or even Motion. Somebody might have one, though, it's a big marketplace.

May 11, 2015 12:14 PM in response to chuckdlsav

Afaik, the keyframe buttons can not be used to trigger behaviours (or vice ersa), such as an increasing text/number generator or something...

Your actual, manually split&type-method seems to me the only solution.

I realize there is dedicated hardware/software that the pros use

That's a very fertile business. sports data.

On my side of the pond, football=soccer delivers tons of data,…partly automatically generated, but also with an army of people, who transfer a game into a living Excel spreadsheet....

In my sons soccer team (he's 15...), the kids wear tiny boxes to measure heart rate while playing etc - 'beamed' to his coach' iPad ... ....

... and me stupid calls it 'a game'............ 😕

Baseball/Softball Score Bug (including Outs, the count, and base positions)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.