Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange Romania cancelled my warranty

Dear sirs,

I bought my girlfriend an Iphone 5s gold last year, after a couple of days a couple of big yellow spots appeared on the right side of the screen.

After almost one year of usage with those spots on the screen I've decided to take the phone in for service, at Orange Romania.

The phone worked fine when I brought the phone at Orange's phone service. They called after a few days telling me that they cancelled my warranty and they are sending me the phone back, without replacing or repairing the phone.

The phone has a ding on the top, near the power button and the top white glass is cracked, but not very much. In fact it looks very good, without any scratches on the screen or on the case and it still works flawlessly, but with yellow spots on the screen.

Cancelling my warranty has left me without any choice whatsoever, I can't take the phone to another authorized service and leaving me with a bad product experience and a huge hole in my pocket. I've owned apple products for a lot of years, this has never happened before under warranty. I've always successfully serviced my phones when it was needed. My bad luck started when choosing Orange's service center. During the time it was in service the 1 year warranty expired.

They also requested 300Eur to replace my phone under warranty!

After speaking with your support they advised me to convince Orange Romania to contact Apple, but they refused.

Is there any way that Apple can help us with this issue?

Also can you do something about Orange Romania? I mean if they don't service properly your products maybe its a good idea to stop selling them.

They also told me that you don't have a right to speak about their warranty policy. I reckon you have all the rights since they're your products.

If you need further info please ask. My case number is 792262008 and I spoke with Zac.

Warm regards,

Avram

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:11 AM

24 replies

May 11, 2015 9:15 AM in response to avramdeluxe

It sounds like they decided the physical damage voided the warranty, which accidental damage does. The fee they quoted you sounds like it IS Apple's out of warranty fee to exchange your phone with a refurbished phone, which again, is standard when the warranty has been voided by accidental damage.

Your Apple warranty does not cover the damage you caused by whatever dented the case and cracked the glass. And that damage would void the warranty as Apple (or Orange as their authorized service provider) has no way of knowing if that also caused internal damage leading to the malfunctions. The normal process in such a case would be to charge you for an out of warranty replacement.

if you wish, you can call Apple support in the UK. From the Romanian Apple support web page, it looks like the UK is you iPhone support center.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/other/

May 11, 2015 9:13 AM in response to avramdeluxe

You will need to take it up with Orange. No one here can help you and Apple does not participate in this forum. A couple of observations:

1). Why did you wait almost a year after the yellow spots appeared to take it in?

2). You might think that the phone looks good even though the glass is cracked. The phone is damaged and that will void the warranty. That is why Orange is probably refusing to honor the warranty. In any case, there is nothing that we can do here.

May 11, 2015 9:21 AM in response to avramdeluxe

the cracked glass on the white glass on the back, not responsible for the yellow spots on the screen which appeared after a few days of usage.

Nevertheless, physical damage VOIDS the warranty from that point forward, regardless of whether the problem is related to the damage. This is Apple's policy. You still haven't answered why you didn't deal with the spots when they occurred, BEFORE cracking the screen.

May 11, 2015 9:22 AM in response to FelipeV

At any Premium Apple Service Provider this issue would have been solved by now. But not at Orange Romania.

This is not the first iphone i take into service, all of them had physical damage, normal wear for a phone that sits in the dashboard of my car and gets cracks and scratches.

To answer your questions:

1. No time. Since it worked, it worked.

2. After speaking with Apple on the support hotline they told me that they are the only ones that can cancel my warranty and I should tell Orange to contact Apple, but they refused.

May 11, 2015 9:29 AM in response to avramdeluxe

avramdeluxe wrote:

At any Premium Apple Service Provider this issue would have been solved by now. But not at Orange Romania.

No. Wrong. Apple would have denied service if the phone was damaged. They would have offered an out of warranty replacement, which is what it looks like that Orange is doing. And a crack is not "normal wear". You only have yourself to blame:

1). You did not take the phone in for service when the problem first appeared (even though it "worked"). Now the warranty is probably expired.

2). You damaged the phone and voided the warranty and expect in warranty service.

In any case, there is nothing anyone can do here. You will need to sort it out with Orange and/or Apple.

May 11, 2015 9:33 AM in response to avramdeluxe

avramdeluxe wrote:

That's true, but its merely a scratch on the case and the cracked glass on the white glass on the back, not responsible for the yellow spots on the screen which appeared after a few days of usage.

I've left it in service as I don't have much use of it right now.

THat is your opinion. However, the only opinion that matters is Apple's or their authorized service representative. If you contact Apple support directly for your region, you can arrange to ship it to them for evaluation.

http://www.apple.com/ro/support/

May 11, 2015 9:47 AM in response to FelipeV

Okay, thanks anyway. I thought there was someone who had the same issue here.

The phone still works fine. This is a common practice here in Romania, to minimize their costs since Apple does not have an official retail store. The sellers do what ever they want with their warranty. This is what this post is about. I frankly don't care about the phone that much, just want to let everyone know what their warranty policy is about.

I will post a couple of pictures with the phone if I get it back.

If it was cracked or damaged in a bad way I would've never bothered to send it to warranty, I know Apples policy since I'm used to iphones and this isn't the first scratched phone I send into warranty.

Yup, you're totally right, my fault. My fault for choosing Orange. 😉

May 17, 2015 7:31 AM in response to avramdeluxe

Hello again,

After I recovered the phone from the service they provided me with a piece of paper telling me that the spots on the screen and the fact that the phone loses charge after 20% is not the fault of the device, but my fault because I did not follow Apple's instructions when turning on the phone for the first time.

This is what I deserve for trusting a company that is supposed to promote communication, instead what they are doing is exactly the opposite, they don't even provide a phone number for their service center. They do that on purpose, so you can't reach them, but they reach you and when they do it's too late.

This is mockery in my opinion and ridicule on my expense. Good luck for those who choose to buy Apple products from ORANGE ROMANIA.

This is how I received the phone, wrapped in reused bubble wrap and with an elastic band holding it together.

User uploaded file

This is the cracked screen that they say caused the yellow spots AND the battery switching the phone off below 20%:

User uploaded file

The ding:

User uploaded file

May 17, 2015 8:05 AM in response to avramdeluxe

All the more reason to deal directly with (or have dealt directly with) Apple, NOT Orange. It is always best to deal with Apple and not your carrier for hardware issues with the device, IMO.

For example, Apple has no "instructions" for first turning your device on other then "press the power button". Literally - in the little "hello" folder included with each iPhone in the box, it simply says "To start, turn on your iPhone by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone" That's it! Orange is giving you what is known here as a runaround - basically B.S. in the hope you'll simply go away.

Orange Romania cancelled my warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.