Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library is aggressively taking up all the remaining space on my iPhone.

Right now, 4.5 GB is tied up in my iPhone ”Photo Library", but I have less than 30 MB free on the device. How can I stop iCloud Photo Library from doing this?

I understand that Photos is “managing” this for me, but when I need to shoot video or download an app, I need the space NOW, not when Photos notices I need more space.

Alternately, how do I free up that space temporarily?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3, 32GB Model

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:30 AM

Photo Library is doing what it is designed to do, however, your Photo Library size is really too large for the storage available on your iPhone.

Your only solution is to get a larger iPhone or or to reduce the size of your Photo Library by archived some of its content and then deleting that content from the Photo Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2015 8:30 AM in response to tarrkid

Photo Library is doing what it is designed to do, however, your Photo Library size is really too large for the storage available on your iPhone.

Your only solution is to get a larger iPhone or or to reduce the size of your Photo Library by archived some of its content and then deleting that content from the Photo Library.

May 11, 2015 8:42 AM in response to JimHdk

"Photo Library is doing what it is designed to do"

That's what I was afraid of. My library is massive (200+GB), so there's no iOS device that will take kindly to it. Splitting the library is definitely an option, just not one I'm crazy about. 😐 I'm really liking my whole library accessible/searchable from all of my devices. It's already been handy several times.

Thanks for the response.

May 24, 2015 10:16 PM in response to tarrkid

My wife's phone had the same problem. We ended up turning iCloud Photos off on her phone and it saved her a couple GB. She doesn't have the 10+ years of photos at her disposal but that's a fair trade compared to not having available space for new memories. It still uploads all of her new photos and it didn't affect iCloud Photos on any other device.

With her next upgrade, we'll be sure to get more space on her phone.

iCloud Photo Library is aggressively taking up all the remaining space on my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.