Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to buy Motion?

Hi - I want to achieve certain picture-in-picture effects for my video, but don't know if I need another program (i.e. Motion) to employ additional effects:

#1 A blue infomercial screen (similar to the attached) with picture-in-picture and text surrounding it.

#2 At one point during my video the speaker mentions items and I would like pictures of those items to appear and remain on the screen as she is speaking.

I know I can create both scenarios within Final Cut, but if I wanted the picture-in-picture to be oval framed or to have a hazy-white border for #1 or the pictures to spin and land on the screen for #2, would I need to invest in Motion?

Thanks for the help.

User uploaded file

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:59 AM

6 replies

May 14, 2015 12:47 AM in response to live432

with Motion, you can create your very own Generator/Effect/Title plug-in, with a convenient Drop-Zone, and preformatted Text areas and sleek animation and and and...

But for quick'n dirty you can use any PaintApp, here Pixelmator:

create the chart, make a 'hole' into it and save it a s png (to keep ransparencies)

gives: ...

User uploaded file

… when you drag upon your video ...

May 15, 2015 7:44 AM in response to live432

I think you can get pretty decent results with FCP X alone. As always, Motion provides a LOT more customization possibilities, but that also comes with a steeper learning curve, and the sheer amount of parameters available can be daunting.

I just did a little experiment and with the Draw Mask or Shape Mask in FCP X it is trivial to make a picture oval; using the transform parameters one can place it anywhere in the frame; and with a few keyframes it can be made to come in from the top or the side if you want; also you can add a drop shadow or whatever you like. Once you get it to work the way you want, click the "Save Efffects Preset" button in the inspector, choose a category and a name, and it will sit there for you to use whenever you want it. Really powerful, really easy. Amazing stuff.

Do I need to buy Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.