Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Track pad making random choices

I'm using a track pad with my desktop (OS 10.9.5) and recently (the last week or so) the track pad has begun sporadically to have a mind of its own. In the middle of using the computer, the track pad will click an area or click and hold without any human intervention (ie no hands on the pad at all). When this happens, it is mostly impossible to stop its action. It lasts for about an hour (or possibly longer - I have to stop using the computer at that point).

I've changed the batteries, turned it on and off, read apple's troubleshooting tips and nothing has impacted it. It has been pretty hot and humid in my neck of the woods recently and I've had all my windows open - I wonder if that has any impact on its behavior.

Any ideas for how to stop this? The track pad is about three years old and I imagine it may need replaced, but I am not confident that another track pad won't act the same way. Ideas/thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 11, 2015 9:39 AM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2015 2:57 PM in response to docpotterywood

It must be the season! I too started having the same problem. I found some steps online on doing a reset and those didn't help. There was one that went as far as editing some code. I wasn't about to do that. I ended up calling Applecare. I know mine started happening after I upgraded to El Capitan?? I doubt it is related...just a strange coincidence. Anyway, Applecare had me do a SAFE BOOT. I came up in safe mode and messed around some and it all seemed to help, so I did a restart and things were back to normal. However the next day, the same thing started up again. It was grabbing open tabs in Safari. Also while doing a couple of CD uploads to iTunes it started doing its own thing there too and moved songs around, started playing the songs the cursor happened to be around. Well I quickly went with the SAFE BOOT thing to clear it up. No such luck this time. My mouse works fine, just the trackpad. If there is anybody out there with any suggestions, please share!

Track pad making random choices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.