Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Transferring Time Machine Backups from Airdisk to External Drive

I made the mistake of using an USB hard drive, connected to the older airport extreme, as a repository for Time Machine. Now I want to connect the drive directly to my machine instead. When I connect it to my mac, I see a folder called Shared and within that folder I see my 2 partitions, one of which is for TM. However, I can't seem to get TM to recognize the backups when I connect the external drive directly to my mac. How can I continue to use the backups when connected directly to the mac?

Thanks

Time Machine-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 11, 2015 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2015 4:10 PM

You cannot use a network backup locally or visa versa.. TM operates to local drives and network drives differently.

I would strongly recommend you simply start over.. keep the old backups for a few months until you are sure they won't be needed.

But our friend Pondini gave the methods..

See Q18 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2015 4:10 PM in response to tomar012

You cannot use a network backup locally or visa versa.. TM operates to local drives and network drives differently.

I would strongly recommend you simply start over.. keep the old backups for a few months until you are sure they won't be needed.

But our friend Pondini gave the methods..

See Q18 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

May 11, 2015 4:15 PM in response to tomar012

Time Machine backs up differently to a "local" drive that is connected directly to a Mac than it does when the drive is connected to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme as a "network" drive.

All of the existing backups on the drive that you have now were made when the device was acting as a network drive.

If you now have the drive connected directly to your Mac, it is functioning as a local drive, so Time Machine will see this as a new drive, one that it has not backed up to before......so it will make a new complete back up of your Mac and then move forward with incremental backups after the first "master" backup is done.

If you really don't need all the old backups and don't mind starting over again, you could erase the drive....which will only take a minute or two...and then start over again with new backups. This is probably the most efficient thing to do, and you will have the entire drive space for backups going forward, but I understand that it is not easy for some users to erase their old backups.

Or, you can keep the old backups and start a new backup using Time Machine. The downside to this is that you have two different backup sets on the same drive, which will take up quite a bit more space than a single backup set, so space may be limited for your new backups.

Help Transferring Time Machine Backups from Airdisk to External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.