Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G3 Wallstreet

I have an old Powerbook G3 Wallstreet that has been in storage for years. If it does work, (After I get a charger), would it handle Mac OS X 10.2? It has 256mb of RAM and a 2GB HDD. If not that OS 9?

Thanks,

Bradley

PowerBook, Other OS, 1998 G3 Wallstreet

Posted on May 11, 2015 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2015 11:22 AM

The Wallstreet supports up to OS 10.2.8 officially. However, you need a bare minimum of a 4GB hard drive to install and use OS 10.2. Even a barebones install can take up over 2GB.

It should do OK with OS9 without adding RAM or upgrading teh hard drive.

Note: you will probably find the the WS now has a dead internal backup battery (also called a "PRAM" battery). I've replaced them in three Wallstreets but it is not a trivial matter, requiring a fairly deep teardown. Unfortunately, the source I used for new replacement PRAM batteries no longer has them. Newer G3s like the Lombards and Pismos can work without a PRAM battery but, in the three Wallstreets I maintained, we fought a herd of odd symptoms until we replaced the PRAM batteries. One computer would not boot from any Apple OSX installer CD but would boot from third-party utility CDs. Another would not charge the battery until the PRAM batt was replaced. As it's been about six years, I can't recall what nonsense the third one invented but, believe me, none were in any support documents, Apple's or otherwise!

On the three I maintained, I installed 40 to 60GB hard drives, maxed the RAM to 512MB, and installed OS 10.3 using a helper application. We ended up buying at least tow new main batteries, and two taht were less than 300mHz, got 300 mHz upgrade cards. My friend oved hs Wallstreets and did not mind throwing money at them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2015 11:22 AM in response to brad737

The Wallstreet supports up to OS 10.2.8 officially. However, you need a bare minimum of a 4GB hard drive to install and use OS 10.2. Even a barebones install can take up over 2GB.

It should do OK with OS9 without adding RAM or upgrading teh hard drive.

Note: you will probably find the the WS now has a dead internal backup battery (also called a "PRAM" battery). I've replaced them in three Wallstreets but it is not a trivial matter, requiring a fairly deep teardown. Unfortunately, the source I used for new replacement PRAM batteries no longer has them. Newer G3s like the Lombards and Pismos can work without a PRAM battery but, in the three Wallstreets I maintained, we fought a herd of odd symptoms until we replaced the PRAM batteries. One computer would not boot from any Apple OSX installer CD but would boot from third-party utility CDs. Another would not charge the battery until the PRAM batt was replaced. As it's been about six years, I can't recall what nonsense the third one invented but, believe me, none were in any support documents, Apple's or otherwise!

On the three I maintained, I installed 40 to 60GB hard drives, maxed the RAM to 512MB, and installed OS 10.3 using a helper application. We ended up buying at least tow new main batteries, and two taht were less than 300mHz, got 300 mHz upgrade cards. My friend oved hs Wallstreets and did not mind throwing money at them.

May 13, 2015 4:58 AM in response to brad737

He is saying go with OS9 unless you are a tinkerer and want to invest hours in upgrading the system hardware (drive and RAM). Even with just OS9 and no tinkering you may find it won't boot because the PRAM battery has gone bad and it is a lot of work both in finding a replacement and installing the replacement. If you have OS9 try it first and see if the computer will even start.

You say "make life easier". What do you plan on doing with this computer? If you are running legacy software and plan on using it to write a novel while sitting in a cabin 100 miles away from anywhere then it will work fine for that. I don't think anything running OS9 (or even OSX 10.2) is going to stand a chance on the Internet. I am not familiar with this model computer. Does it have USB capabilities? You might accomplish simple file transfer using a flash drive.

Jun 7, 2015 1:19 PM in response to brad737

As of 2011 I was using Clasilla as the browser on my vintage 233MHz Wall Street. Worked pretty well with AirPort 2.0.4. Software update even still worked!!!

Keep in mind that at 233MHz, there will be limits to what it can do as an internet machine. I did update it to 512MB RAM for snappier performance.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Powerbook G3 Wallstreet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.