Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce pdf file size when sharing via Keynote on iPad? Also, while sharing I am forced to use Apple Mail client only, Why so?

I created a Keynote presentation in iPad. Then chose to share it via PDF - the PDF size came out to be a whooping 6 mb for a 10 slide presentation (just 1-2 lo-res images are present, are some text, charts and tables are there). It becomes a pain for people receiving it (PDFs are supposed to be much lighter for small files like mine).

Also, Why cannot I share via the Gmail app installed in the iPad? There is an option to share via Gmail when sharing, but the email just wouldn't go. It does after 3-40 mins and also after repeated failures. I cannot sit and track whether the emails I send have actually gone or not. On the other hand, when I am sending via iCloud email, it goes instantly. Feels like Apple is forcing me to use Apple Mail in a dirty way.

Note: I cannot use iCloud account because I need to send emails via a custom / personal domain email which is configured in my Gmail account.

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 11, 2015 9:16 PM

5 replies

May 12, 2015 9:49 AM in response to thevinamra

I do not think 6meg is that big these days, but ...

Check out a web based compressor.

http://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

More compression solutions.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-PDF-File-Size

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/shrink-pdf-file-size/

You write up seems like a bug description to me. Seems like you should look for a work-around.

There are other email apps around, I'd try one.

Use icab mobile web browser allows you to upload pdf files to server.

May 15, 2015 1:23 PM in response to rccharles

The PDF compressor link does not help because Keynote directly sends email while converting the presentation to PDF on the fly. Therefore I am not converting the PDF separately, not saving first,nor even attaching to an email separately (not sure is that is possible on an iPad or not via Keynote app).

It is such a simple case - PDFs are supposed to be smaller files more suited for emails. Plus I want to send the pdf to some one who does not have an apple device and hence cannot open a Keynote format directly. Why should there be a need to even look for a work-around? In looking for a work-around, a 1-step process is made 3-step process which takes more time and also increases the chance of error when dealing with lots of file in Keynote (converting them into PDFs and emailing them).

I am not sure why Apple cannot make things in a simple to do manner and I am reading a lot in communities that all pro-apple users are always working via workaround for various tasks (which, as per me, isn't a good thing and should not need to be done always).

My both questions are still unanswered. Someone help pls.

May 15, 2015 2:08 PM in response to thevinamra

There are some apps around that when you email them a file they will insert it into your dropbox account.

The PDF compressor link does not help because Keynote directly sends email while converting the presentation to PDF on the fly. Therefore I am not converting the PDF separately, not saving first,nor even attaching to an email separately (not sure is that is possible on an iPad or not via Keynote app).

Well, do the email thing. Email it to yourself. Get iCab mobile to upload a file.

It is such a simple case -

It's simple, but you have a problem with 6meg. Apple assumes you have a broadband connection.

PDFs are supposed to be smaller files more suited for emails.

No. Where did you read that? PDF is portable document format. The design is so that they will appear the same on all computers. May contain impeded fonts, I think.

I don't think the ipad is designed as a document creation platform. Light edits etc. If you need more flexibility a laptop is what you need.

May 21, 2015 10:32 AM in response to rccharles

There are some apps around that when you email them a file they will insert it into your dropbox account.

What does the above mean? email them a file? Why do I need to insert what in my dropbox account? Please explain.

Also, why do I need to install a plethora of apps to get a very basic / minimal functionality which should be easily available in every device man creates on earth!!!?

Well, do the email thing. Email it to yourself. Get iCab mobile to upload a file.

Seriously? Apple believe in 'emailing to yourself' thing still, I believe it to be lamest way to get a file. Please suggest a better way.

It's simple, but you have a problem with 6meg. Apple assumes you have a broadband connection.

I do have a broadband connection and 6 mb may be fine too, but the person I am sending such large files, might not have a broadband connection, or a smaller-sized corporate mailbox available with him/her.

I don't think the ipad is designed as a document creation platform. Light edits etc. If you need more flexibility a laptop is what you need.

Then what is iPad for? Watching movies only, LOL! BTW, this question was never centered around creating docs - I asked about sharing docs only. Is that also iPad is not meant to be for? Then I really wonder why Apple created the iPad or rather why I bought it 🙂

Awaiting your replies!

How to reduce pdf file size when sharing via Keynote on iPad? Also, while sharing I am forced to use Apple Mail client only, Why so?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.