Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch interfering with bluetooth headset?

I have an iPhone 6 which I frequently use with my Plantronics Voyager Legend headset. I've used this pair for quite a while and never had any problems, but ever since I received my Apple Watch and started using it with my phone, I notice that the audio to my headset is quite choppy and entirely cuts out both ways sometimes (I can't hear caller, they can't hear me). I did some experimenting and when I switch the call back to the iPhone speaker or speakerphone, the problem is immediately resolved and I can hear the caller again. Switch them back to bluetooth, and audio gets a bit choppy intermittently within the first minute. Then, I started loading apps like the Weather on my Apple Watch, and the headset completely lost the call and it switched back to my iPhone speaker automatically.

Has anyone else noticed interference with the Apple Watch and bluetooth headsets? Or contrary, anyone have good success using a particular headset model while the watch was paired and active to the same phone?

Posted on May 11, 2015 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2015 3:01 PM

I Have noticed this as well. I use a Bluetooth headphone that connect to my iPhone 6 to listen to pandora at the gym. I have noticed so cutting out since I have had my watch. I am also having battery issues with my watch and this may by partially do to bluetooth issues.

13 replies

May 19, 2015 3:08 AM in response to steelersgirl92

I'm using a Jabra Pro 9470 and have the same issue. very choppy, almost impossible to hear. been using this headset for years with not issue. removed and re-installed drivers. checked firmware, changes base-station settings etc, no different. the only thing that fixed it....

turning off my apple watch.

not great, seems pretty conclusive to me.

now don't get me wrong i love my watch, and find if very useful, however it's not as useful as my headset....

May 19, 2015 6:35 AM in response to techietype

I use Jaybirds' Bluebuds X bluetooth earbuds and have seen none of these issues - either more battery drain on the iPhone or any sort of interference/cutting out of the music going from my iPhone 6 to the Bluebuds. (Only issue I have is a difficulty when I want to connect the Bluebuds directly to the Watch - I have to tell my iPhone to actually forget the device, which is not true when I just want to switch from my iPhone 6 to my iPad Mini Retina. At least that is what happened the first time, have not really played with it trying it again.)

So I don't think it is necessarily a Watch issue - perhaps something to do with the bluetooth headphones you are using?

May 20, 2015 9:38 AM in response to techietype

I've also done some testing using my bluetooth headset with my computer and notice that when my watch and phone are nearby, I get choppy audio on my headset. But, when I turn off my watch, the problem seems to go away. Would love to hear if anyone resolves this.

I'm installing the 1.0.1 software update for my watch now, will post if it seems to fix anything.

May 20, 2015 10:48 AM in response to techietype

So I spoke with apple tech support last night and, admittedly, due to the poor quality of my headset my watch is not on the compatibility list. Thinking this may have been the problem, I purchased a set of Plantronics before speaking with Carla (who gave me great service by the by). They should be here on Friday and will hopefully get resolution at that time. She said if after they are paired I am still getting the choppy connection to email her and she will get right back with me. Fingers crossed that is the issue. You know, you can spend $399 on a watch but it seems completely logical to spend $19.99 on a headset. Quality is the name of the game, I unfortunately have not grasped the concept yet....i'll update after the Plantronics arrive...

May 20, 2015 11:35 AM in response to techietype

I too have bluetooth issues with wireless headsets. I have brand new Plantronics BackBeat Fit headset that I got in March for my B Day. Simply won't work wi the watch. Will start to play music and then shortly after I start my run the music stops. I had to stop and reconnect, but gave up frustrated after a couple of times. Now i use my old wired headset. But apple advertised big time wireless headsets and even no iphone for a run. I always bring my phone so there shouldn't be an issue. By the way I did not put songs on watch. And, yes, the headset works fine with iphone 6. Just doesn't paly nice with watch

May 20, 2015 8:50 PM in response to techietype

same thing here. Brand new Jaybirds....I have my iphone, apple watch, earbuds and an external HR monitor. I cannot use all 3 bluetooth at same time, or the earbuds don't work. It's really f'ng annoying. Because apple won't open up the HR on the watch to third parties, i bought the external HR monitor to connect to Endomondo and others...but now I can't listen to music. So annoyed.

May 22, 2015 9:28 PM in response to techietype

Update from my earlier post:

Funny - the first several times I paired my Jaybird Bluebud X with my iPhone (not paired to the Watch itself) everything worked great regardless of the exercise I was doing (walking, jogging, indoor and outdoor bike riding, treadmill). No interruptions or issues at all. But today - I decided to run Map My Run on my iPhone 6 at the same time I used the Workout App during my fast walk to compare the readings - and the Bluetooth earbuds kept disconnecting from the iPhone. About halfway through the walk, I turned off Map My Run and had no further issues.

Aug 23, 2016 5:40 AM in response to techietype

I just got my watch a month ago.

This is happening to me as well. Additionally the PT Legnd will NOT connect automatically when the watch is already connected. Have to select it in the settings in the Bluetooth settings of the iPhone (64GB SE).

The BT connection is extremely bad during a call as well. It appears to be a Watch/Apple issue if the Headset works fine without the Watch....but the connection to the in car system that is in the 2014 Honda Civic I own, does not suffer from the Watch Connection? And I have never had an issues with a Plantronics Headset, choosing them because of that.

I just connected the headset BEFORE the watch and it does not seem to matter the order. Audio on the PT Legend when the Watch is connected is really bad.

Dec 11, 2016 4:32 PM in response to Jared@Halifax

I have the Backbeat Fit, Nike Apple Watch and iPhone 7 Plus. I run 3 miles a day listening to audiobooks with my waist-strapped iphone. For some reason the audio breaks up just after I leave the house for a few seconds, then works fine, then starts crackling again while I'm doing my post run stretches. There must be more of us around - how about a fix Apple? And maybe get Nike to improve their App too? Not too much to ask....

Dec 11, 2016 7:00 PM in response to techietype

I have the LG Infinim HBS 910 headset, and I have had this headset for quite some time. I have recently purchased the Apple Watch Series 2, and have had no issues as far as any choppy sound issues or anything like that. The headset and phone work flawlessly, and I haven't tried to connect them to my watch as I always have my phone with me so I don't need the watch to play my music for me. The only issue that I have found is if I'm on the phone or listening to music through the Bluetooth headset, my watch is really not very responsive as far as connection to the phone. The watch will do the things that it needs to do, but things like Siri, and other stuff that it needs bluetooth data connection to the phone, just extremely slow if ever getting a response. It's not a huge deal as I don't do this very often, but I did find once that it caused an app to not install correctly, but was easy to find out what was going on. Ended the call, tried again and everything went fine.

Watch interfering with bluetooth headset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.