Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app on Macbook unable to display messages

Hi, all.

A very strange problem has occurred with my Messages app on my Macbook. Ever since I got this computer, the Messages app worked fine and displayed my read and unread messages fine. Randomly, a couple days ago the app completely stopped working. It would not display my messages - read or unread. When I open the app, contact names appear on the sidebar as if I have a new message, but there is no text in the preview and when I click on the conversation no text comes up as well. The banner notification DOES display the proper contact name and message preview on my Macbook, though. I am so confused as to why this app crashed all of the sudden. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on what I could do?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 11, 2015 11:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2015 11:52 PM

Try these steps:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disc and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disk Permissions and then on Repair Disk Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2015 11:52 PM in response to hla14c

Try these steps:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disc and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disk Permissions and then on Repair Disk Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

May 12, 2015 1:04 PM in response to hla14c

Hi,

If you have recently updated to OS 10.10.3 and have McAfee then ensure it is allowing Messages.

Changes in the OS means the Antivirus app can block Messages.

Kaspersky is also reported to be doing this.

Also check the Contacts App > Preferences > Accounts.

It should be using only one method to sync to an iPhone and or iPad or other Macs.

User uploaded file

9:04 pm Tuesday; May 12, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages app on Macbook unable to display messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.